Plans Change - Orphan XS650B

Mollard

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Plans Change - Orphan XS650B

Sometimes plans change, and you have to do something about it. I started a XS650 project months ago that I am unable to complete due to multiple reasons. Rather then hold out for top dollar, I am putting it up for adoption. The bike is entirely broken down, cases split. Everything is bagged and tagged. It is a 1975 XS650B Every part is there, was an original low mile bike when I began the tear down. Hasn't run since 1985. I bought it from an older gentlemen who purchased the bike new in 1975. There is a very interesting story behind this bike, and want to see it go to a owner who will respect it. It is yours to do what you like. Only two requirements:

1. One previous XS650 build, restoration, or custom. Would like this to go to a dedicated XS650 enthusiast.
2. Regular contributions to a build thread on this site. I would like to watch the build progress.

Here are the only pictures I have of the bike together, they are from the ad when I bought it.

3433nk8_20.jpg

8735cde_20.jpg

42054b7_20.jpg

447825b_20.jpg

4236mki_20.jpg

1558nh_20.jpg

I live twords London, Ontario. About 3 hours southwest of Toronto. I am willing to transport the bike within 2 hours of my house. If you are interested in this project, post pictures of your previous build, and a plan of what you would be building with this one. I will be ready to hand over the bike mid April. When we meet, you bring the beer.

Cheers
Chris

*keep applications public. no PM's please.

Last edited:
Chris you have presented challenge and one hell of an offer.
I'll be on the sidelines to watch the outcome(along with others I'm sure).

fingers crossed it goes to a restore person

7K on the clock? A diamond in the rough......A resto-mod would be fun to watch. Wouldn't watch a hack job though......not on a '75...too painfull.

Pinky swears RG....you're quicker on the post. Great minds etc.

Last edited:
My god that is so appealing! While I only have a few bike restorations/builds under my belt and just one XS650 that is still part way... I am an aircraft mechanic specializing in warbird restorations (currently on a 1941 PBY Catalina 5A). If someone else does not hop on this and hangar space opens up a little I would love to take her on...

I will be in touch.

I'd adopt tha baby with a smile on my face!

I went to school down in London for 2 years over at Fanshawe. I'm currently finishing up my build and I would love to have something to build up again, having learnt a lot from what I have gone through with this build.

I'd love to build something up with my brother something with a lot of custom fab work. I'd like to hot rod the engine with a rephase, Pamco ignition, Pandmonium Hot Rod exhaust, pretty much one of everything Hughs Handbuilt makes.. tonnes of products from the shops of xs650.com

If no one else would like a stab at it.. I'm in (even though the girlfriend will kill me)! What kind of beer do you drink? :D

Attachments

• 2012-07-28_21-33-54_943_null.jpg
    2012-07-28_21-33-54_943_null.jpg
    247.4 KB · Views: 154
Last edited:
I am a member on another XS site, and a Norton site. I thought I was registered here, but can't find the info.

PM sent, looking forward to a reply.

Mine,
Just after I got it home,
PB010021.jpg

Somewhat recent, pre accident, She spit me off April 5, 2010, Low speed (30mph) front brake locked up. Not much damage.

101021_104638.jpg

Last edited:
Will be making a decision tword the end of March. Will be ready to turn the bike over mid April. Please keep applications public. No PM's please. Really looking forward to seeing someone's build up. This thing is a perfect candidate for a hot resto-mod.

As stated. I live near London, Ontario. A few hours from Toronto. Adoption is free, just need to meet the requirements in my original post.

I am in Pickering and am almost finished getting an 81 Special on the road, it has the multispoke wheels and only enough modernization to keep it reliable.
I would treat the 75 with the respect it deserves and keep it stock in appearance. I am winding down my self employment with the goal of being semi-retired, so I would have the time to devote to it to make it a daily runner100_2633.JPG

I would be honored to bring it back to life. I am about an 8 hour drive away. Would be a good road trip.

This is the bike I restored last winter,
http://www.accessnorton.com/1972-combat-commando-t9840.html?hilit=combat

and this is the one I am doing now.
http://www.accessnorton.com/1970-dunstallized-commando-t15267.html?hilit=combat

I have done a bunch of work to my 75 XS over the years,
http://s1029.beta.photobucket.com/user/brentwolff/library/1975 Yamaha XS 650

I have had the motor out a few times. 750 kit, I made an oil filter sump plate. Experimented with brakes, etc.. Was my daily rider for a while.
Life has slowed riding to a crawl right now. So I mainly work on the bikes for now. My youngest starts Kindergarden in the fall, so I will have more time, can't wait.
Really would like to have a completely stock 75, it would be nice if my wife would take to it, instead of her Blast.

Here is the bike in its current state. Finally go some pictures, so you know what you are up against. I was starting a rephased hot rod, but nothing has been cut or chopped, and every last original part will be boxed and handed over.

image_zpsd3ac4867.jpg

image_zps9ca396cd.jpg

image_zps754a83ff.jpg

it would be neat to see this turn into a 'community' bike. any design or performance changes come up for a vote. maybe keep the length of ownership to a year or two so a few members get to add to it and enjoy it.

Yep. Still happening. Super busy with work, still in Alberta. Should be home some time next week, will get her all wrapped up, paperwork in order, and get 'er figured.

Back