please help with ignition!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I would get the adapter and reg from Hugh's handbuilt. It is cheaper to find a stator and rotor from various sites, but Hugh has it all if you don't wanna search for it. The PAMCO is the way to go if you WANT to get rid of the TCI. I had the same setup as you, and installed all that BigJimmy recommended and it SOOOO much easier to install and less problems. I don't know if you want to, but building a harness takes no time once you start doing it. I was intimidated by it, but once you start running the wires it all makes sense and is really simple.

A second thing is, with the stock charging system, its not if it fails, but when. I highly recommend that change as well. You wouldn't need a battery if you wanna kick only bike. You can use a small SLA battery or capacitor if you wanted it REALLY concealed. I installed the rotor, stator and Pamco in one morning and wired it all that afternoon.

the links I told you to buy. Would disregard the need for your reg/rect. And with that set up you could run batteryless, but would need a capacitor in the place of a battery. those are the only two things you would need to order and buy for your ignition and charging system to be a champ.

sorry for all the questions, but just so I know for sure, when I buy the stuff you linked to, I have the option to run a battery or a cap. also, what wiring diagram from the tech page would I need?

first part. Yes, depending on the answer to my next question.

What all do you plan on running? of course head and tail light. Turn signals? Estart? What?

just headlight and tail light, and probably a cigarette lighter. If i decide to go with the battery, I would go with a key start as well..

Then just find a wiring diagram with all of those parts on it. Estart, headlight, tail light, solenoid, Permanent magnet alternator, Pamco ignition and spark coil.

Here ya go. This is the one I drew up for mine.

I would recommend moving the R/W wire from the solenoid to the other side of the kill switch for the coil and Pamco. This will keep it off so you dont kill your battery turning it over and over while the Pamco is switched off.

Attachments

• 650 my wire job.JPG
    650 my wire job.JPG
    79 KB · Views: 74
heres the wiring diagram of the tcbros kit i got it works allright but i could have done it myself.

Attachments

• wirinigxs650 002.jpg
    wirinigxs650 002.jpg
    299.4 KB · Views: 65
  • wirinigxs650 003.jpg
    wirinigxs650 003.jpg
    297.2 KB · Views: 55
  • wirinigxs650 004.jpg
    wirinigxs650 004.jpg
    295.7 KB · Views: 55
  • wirinigxs650 001.jpg
    wirinigxs650 001.jpg
    295.8 KB · Views: 51
If you still can't figure it out. Lemme know. I will send you to a friend of mine on the IL side in Grafton and he will do it. He'll charge you, but he'll do it.

I am thinking about that because I have no free time to work on this thing anymore. Would he look at it and tell me what is wrong? If I have everything the way it is now, would he be able to tell me if something was wired wrong or is a bad part?

also, if I were to run a starter selenoid, could I just pick one up from an auto parts store, or is it a specific part?

You only need the solenoid if you actually run the starter. If you're not going to run the starter then you don't need it. Also, if it were me.. I would start from scratch rather than try to fix someone else's mess of wiring. So I dunno. His cousin if anyone would be the better candidate to be able to try and spot the issue. Also if you're doing the PMA conversion and Pamco conversion it would be a new wiring set up anyhow.

I was just wondering if I could use the setup that is on the bike for a little while until I saved up some more cash for the overhaul on the electrical system. Unfortunately I owe the IRS some money, (never be an independent contractor for a cable company)

Yeah, you have to keep track whenever you're going to get 1099'd. Luckily for me whenever I did subcontract I had another job where I paid the max amount on income and I claimed all of my mileage to my car. I got a return of about $300 bucks for that year, but that's better than paying.

Man from what I can tell; you have a cluster of wiring. Without being in front of it myself I have no idea what you have going on there. You might wanna try and draw up a diagram of how you have it wired currently. Also post up some more pics of the whole bike. You really have to give us as much info on the thing as you possibly can.

BTW where in STL?

i'm in a similar situation. I really just want to score a Pamco, Hugh's complete charging system kit, and call it a day, but the damn Auto Advance Units are out of stock at Mike's and i have no idea when they'll be back. anyone hear anything on that? i'm sure a bunch of other people are waiting on them too.

Back