please help with ignition!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

dcoffman

Suck it Ninjas
Reaction score
I have a chopped xs650 1980 engine and I am having the hardest time trying to figure out what ignition I need. Everything about the bike is custom (I'm sure you get a lot of those). I would like a reliable "set it and forget it" type ignition. I have been doing a lot of homework on what I would need, but to no avail have I gotten a solution to my problem.

Currently I am working with a reg/rec combo, and a ignitor unit. Also I have gone through 3 coils (stock and used). I have scoured the internet looking for a wire diagram that suits what I am doing and I finally found on! Perfect, the bike runs..... Well, ran... It ran great for roughly 20 min. and then nothing. I can't get get the bike to kick or anything. Quite frankly it's pissing me off because after roughly 2 years this thing should run.

I have seen a chopped wire harness on TC Bros. web site and thought that it would make life much easier. Considering my reg/rec and ignitor unit have their connections cut off I would have to buy new ones.

Please help, this is getting quite frusterating and all I wanna do is ride.

Oh, there are no mechanics around that will work on my bike, not even a Yamaha dealer

Post some pictures. Of your TCI (alternator) under your left side cover. I wanna know if you or someone else has gutted the TCI. Also check up at the top of the page under tech and wiring diagrams.

I will have to post them tomorrow morning, it's hella dark and I want to take good pictures so I can actually get some help with what I'm trying to do.

Holy cow, thanks for the speedy reply...

the TC Bro. harness is a waste of money,the wires are not even solider together they use T-Taps,could of/Should have done it myself.i can send u a good pic if u want to make one yourself

I also read that I need to un-ground the stator, when I did that, the bike ran...

TC Bros. Harness 80-84 6pin,8pin an 70-79 points harness.

Attachments

• 8084harness.jpg
    8084harness.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 77
  • 7079charge.jpg
    7079charge.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 81
  • 88084harness.jpg
    88084harness.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 61
Here are a few pictures I took this morning. I hope this helps you guys

Attachments

• IMAG0244.jpg
    IMAG0244.jpg
    318.5 KB · Views: 98
  • IMAG0245.jpg
    IMAG0245.jpg
    299.3 KB · Views: 94
so whats next, what do i need to get for this damn thing to run? should i go with an upgraded ignition (electronic)?

i would like to spend less than 500 total. I can get a used reg/rec and ignitor unit for 100 at a salvage shop close to me. I just picked up the coil (in the pic) yesterday for 25. And re-wiring the thing would cost me less than 20. I'm just confused on which wire diagram I need.

Well the reason I ask.... Is if it were me, I would (and I did) pick up a pamco with advance kit and either source a banshee swap or buy Punkskalar's PMA kit.

so those are the only two parts i would need? I would still have to run a battery, and what about the current wiring? would all of that be disregarded?

your salvage shop is ripping you on the reg/rec, you can get a brand new one from mikes for that price.

Back