PMA Install: Rotor has "slight" wobble - nut not at full torque

CoconutPete

1979 XS650 Special
Reaction score
OK, this could 100% be just me being paranoid.

I'm installing my PMA (TC Bros if it matter).

The woodruff (who thought of this name by the way?) key is in the slot, i'm putting the rotor on (kind of like playing tetris by the way, getting the damn thing to fit without shooting out).

I have the plugs out and i'm rotating the whole schebang to make sure everything has clearance. I haven't yet torqued it down to 29 ft lbs. The rotor has a slight wobble to it. This does not happen if I replicate this without the woodruff key in there.

This is the big question:

If I torque it down to 29 ft lbs, should it straighten itself?

It probably should and I'm just worried i'll bend something. The bolt is torqued, but not to 29.

It could be different but with Hughs kit he has you take the key out. Do they recommend you keep it in?

The wood-ruff key is too big grind a few thou off of the flat edge then try again, if not enough do it again, if you torque down as it is now it won't sit straight, its best to use a key as the rotor may spin and move your timing marks .

The wood-ruff key is too big grind a few thou off of the flat edge then try again, if not enough do it again, if you torque down as it is now it won't sit straight, its best to use a key as the rotor may spin and move your timing marks .

Thank you! I had a feeling it just wouldn't be good if I torqued down on it, something wasn't right.

I'll grind away at it for a bit and see where that lands me.

And yes, the kit from TC Bros calls for leaving a key in there, even comes with an extra one if you lose yours. I supposed for consistency of your timing marks.

Back