PMA only charging to 12v at full rev

AG650

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Broke down at a red light down at moutainfest yesterday. Luckily i had some friends in the area. Got it home and noticed my lights were dead so i assumed the battery was the culprit. Charged her up and it fired right up but when i checked the battery while running i was getting 9V at idle and only 12V when revved past 3000. Checked all my wiring and there isnt anything that i can see that would be a problem...no fuses blown or anything either.... It is a pma kit from mikesxs and a 6 month old shorai battery. Has anyone else had a problem with their pma or anyone know what might be wrong? Thanks in advance.

From most reports of this kind of PMA failure it is often the reg/rec has gone bad. I might look at the grounds first. Good clean bare metal to clean bare metal is the only good ground.
Leo

I completely charged up my battery and it seems to be working now.......i wonder if i let my shorai get to low??? i have read that the gel batteries can be funny at times......ill do a road test later today and see for sure.....a road test with gf in the truck following that is lol

This is not the end of your charging problems, maybe just the beginning.

I recommend you install a voltmeter on your bike.

Does your bike sit around for long periods, and not driven? That's bad for batteries.

It sat for about 3 weeks prior to this. I started it up today and ran it for a little and am getting 12.8 at idle now

Back