possible valve seal?

laramore86

XS650 Member
Reaction score
What's this look like to you guys. Im thinking valve seal. I want a little more opinion than just mine before i tear into it. Its a nasty gooey carbon mixed oily mess. Left side exhaust port on an 81.

Posted via Mobile

Attachments

• IMG_20130819_183722_345.jpg
    IMG_20130819_183722_345.jpg
    196.6 KB · Views: 177
Yes, that could very well be caused by a bad valve seal. It can be caused by a bad head gasket, worn rings or most anything else that can cause oil burning.
Have you done a compression test? A leak down test?
These test can help you determine if the oil burning is from the rings or valves.
doing a tear down and inspection of the internal parts may be needed.
Leo

I did a compression test. Both cylinders showed 160. I had a leak down test done by a local shop. The guy was a jack wagon. I went to pick up the bike and he told me everything checked out good? I asked him to elaborate and he just said it checked out fine. So tonight I been tinkering on it and Squirted some oil in the cylinder kicked it over a couple times and did a compression test again. The numbers went maybe 2 psi higher. On both sides. Neither changed dramatically. so after doing that I may have answered my own question? From what I've read. If the pressure dramatically increases its rings. If not its valves?

Posted via Mobile

XSLeo is right, of course. I changed my valve guide seals, head gasket, and found the PO had done a very poor imitation of a rebore which allowed oil to creep past the oil scrapers.

I was in your position last week. I decided it had to be done, and it was surprisingly enjoyable (see my videos for some encouragement, under Cylinder Head Removal with Videos - just preparing Video 8 now).

Yes, valve guide seals - that is the starting point.

Anlaf

Okay I'll check out your videos! Thanks for the replies. Im going to order a couple clutch push rod seals from mikesxs. I'll get some valve seals and head gasket while I'm ordering. Thanks a bunch!

Posted via Mobile

With 160 psi compression and very little change in reading with oil, is a good indication the engine is in good shape. No to very little leaking past the rings or valves. This also indicates the head gasket is ok.
So this narrows the suspects down to the valve seals.
Not much of a way to check them without pulling the engine and taking the rocker box off. This way you can remove the valve springs and look at the seals.
There is a way to change the seals without all this work. You need some way of holding the valve closed while you remove the spring.
Once you remove the spring you can change the seals and replace the springs.
Do a search and you should find out how.
Leo

as far as holding the valves closed, i know years ago we would make a adapter to hook up to our air compressor via the spark plug.since yu have a air tite cylinder with good compression this mite work for you. the compressed air would hold up the valves while you were working on them.yur a smart boy yu will figure it out.

Thanks guys. I seen a post here somewhere where the guy used I believe a half inch pipe coupling, ground on it some and used it for a spring compressor. I have some valve seals, exauhst gaskets, and 2 pushrod seals on order from mikes. That should take care of my oily exhaust port if the valve seal is the culprit. Ridgerunner my farm used to send eggs down to neosho Missouri. We are in bonne terre. bout 60 miles south of st Louis.

Posted via Mobile

Back