Post Pictures of your Neck/Headlight Wiring

PHeller

Erie, PA
Reaction score
I'd like to get some ideas on how folks bring wires back under the tank and the wiring that is exposed around the neck.

I feel like my wiring is really obvious and not very streamlined.

I don't have a picture to show you, but theres 2 small gaps on either side of the neck behind the headlight.. The holes kinda face up.

I ran all my handlebar wires & headlight stuff into those 2 gaps. They come out behind the neck in that little space right where the downpipes & backbone meet.. Right above & in front of where the stock horn is..

I made all my connections right there & tucked them inside that space.. Mine looks nice & clean, can't really see it.

It also helps if you're not running single wires through there all taped up. All of my connections are sleeved or coated & alot of wires are sharing sleeves to cut down on the amount of seperate wires running through it to help lessen the clutter..

I don't have a picture to show you, but theres 2 small gaps on either side of the neck behind the headlight..

I thought about doing that, but I've got my coil mounted one side and my horn mounted on the other, both are tucked up under the tank.

That space under the top tube is pretty crowded and I was worried about overheating my coil.

Here's mine, left and right sides. One inside the headlight bucket.
The left side isn't as neat as the right, but more wires on that side.
Leo

Attachments

• mine 009 (640x480).jpg
    mine 009 (640x480).jpg
    229.9 KB · Views: 155
  • mine 010 (640x480).jpg
    mine 010 (640x480).jpg
    232.4 KB · Views: 154
  • New bike 045 (640x480).jpg
    New bike 045 (640x480).jpg
    233.7 KB · Views: 140
You didn't mention what year XS you had, but here are some pics I took of my stock wiring on my 1977 before I tore it down. Hope it helps.

The wiring has to have some slack in it to allow for movement during steering.

Attachments

• wire routing left side to headlight pod.jpg
    wire routing left side to headlight pod.jpg
    122.7 KB · Views: 165
  • wire routing right front.jpg
    wire routing right front.jpg
    115.4 KB · Views: 146
  • wiring left side coils removed.jpg
    wiring left side coils removed.jpg
    116.2 KB · Views: 151
  • wiring top strap right side.jpg
    wiring top strap right side.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 135
you only need three wires for the headlight if you move the connections back under the tank into the frame space above the coils, how hard can that be to visualize?

Not very hard. I'm more interested in how folks run the switch gear wires, some run it in back of the triples, some run it through the triples, behind the headlight and around the opposite side.

I can't seem to find a good way of running mine, though I may try a few things tonight.

Posted via Mobile

Back