Problem Getting Engine to Start

dferk001

XS650 Member
Reaction score
I am having some issues getting my 77 xs650 motor to start. I purchased this motor without hearing it run. The motor sounds like it is trying to start. It back fires pretty loud after about 5 kicks. I have installed a new pamco ignition, a new battery, and new spark plugs. The motor has air, spark, and fuel. I have installed the duel output coil from mikes Part #17-6822 and spark plug 1 k ohm cap Part #23-3116. I believe the pamco is installed correctly and the wiring is correct, I have checked it three times. The battery has a charge during the trials of getting the motor to start. I know the carbs have nothing to do with this issue because I put my friends carbs on from his bike that runs great.

The clutch side of the motor cover has not been on during the trials. Could this be an issue. Could timing be the issue. If so any pointers on how how to correctly adjust the timing?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Could be that your timing is way off, backfiring from sparking at the wrong time.

Dude, are you saying your right side cover is off, looking down when sitting on the bike? If so, you're not going to be pumping oil...

I am sorry, my mistake the left side cover is off. The right side cover is on and the motor has oil. I thought that timing was the issue myself. Any pointers on adjusting the timing. How in depth is it? I have never done this before. I assume I will need a timing light.

You said you installed a new Pamco. The Pamco comes with full instructions. Have you followed the instructions? He tells you how to set the backing plate for the first start up. When running you must have a timing light.

The 1K spark plug cap is meant for resistor spark plugs................is that what you are using?

Useful places to find information:
"Tech" at top of page
"Search" at upper right corner

Remember, once your motor gets to running you'll be spewing oil out from the clutch pushrod if you leave that cover off....

Back