Problem while using homemade manometer to synch carbs

Lou

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hi All, Doh!! Im almost embarrassed to be posting this one. I got my moto running but could tell the carbs were off so I made the manometer w 3/16" tube, yardstick and some brake fluid since thats what I had.

1980 Special with vacuum ports on both carbs. I hooked up the tubing on each side, set my petcock to prime and started it up. At first things were starting to work -the fluid was changing level..then I spend literally like 2 seconds too long staring at the level and not watching the tubing at ports and whoop some fluid got sucked into one or both ports before I could stop it. Saw some white smoke puff out the exhaust then engine shut off. I run a 2-1 exhaust so couldnt tell which side(s) some of the fluid may have gotten into..

I put my vacuum plug on right side and reconnected tube to petcock on left side. Tried to start up but nothing. Pulled plugs and cleaned em off -still no start. Tried spraying some starter fluid directly into carbs, didnt work. Using my starter button mostly. Tried to kick it a few times but didnt help.

Should I just let the bike sit for awhile and try to start later as I might if it was flooded w fuel, or is there something else that I need to do here? Not thinking my carb jets got sticky w the brake fluid because of where the ports are, but could that be what happened?

We are talking about a very small amount of brake fluid..not sure exactly but just a tiny bit had to have gotten in thru the ports before I pulled the tubing off.

Thanks for the advice!

Still got equal compression on both sides? Pull the spark plugs and make sure the pistons raise to the same level and not one rod bent due to hydrolock. Also check to make sure the valves are opening and closing.

Thanks Azman, I do not have a compression gauge but did the other steps you suggested. Both pistons are rising to the same level and all the valves are opening and closing properly. Even checked valve clearances though not sure a symptom would show up there..all clearances are correct.

Does that help solve the concern over hydrolock or should I get a compression gauge and verify that too? I planned on buying one soon anyways, but not sure if I need to do that now before checking other possibilities?

Your probably good on the hydrolock question. Any compression was to check for bent/warped valves. If you got compression on both sides your good there.Seeing the valves move was to make sure none were stuck open, but lack of comp would have shown that too. Plugs fowled out? On the manometer, maybe something to dampen the pulses, like a small vice grip loose(not all the way closed) on the center of the hose.

OK thanks for the link, sounds like I need to drain my oil before anything else. Argh! I estimate that MAYBE it was an 1/8-1/4 of an oz at the most. Could have been much less than that but no way was it more.

One of the plugs was a bit fouled -moist more than fouled per se. I had just cleaned both plugs about 5 mins of run time before hooking up the manometer so I know they were clean prior to starting the sync job.

Next time definitely going to dampen the pulses w either vice grips or the valve idea..and dont use brake fluid again :) synthetic motorcycle oil is colored..prolly would have been a much better choice just to avoid causing more problems by using a fluid that has no place in the engine itself.

Even better, I should have read this post more carefully since it warns about the problem I created for myself today as well as suggesting to use 2 cycle motor oil: http://www.xs650.com/threads/homemade-manometer.7263/

Last edited:
The Carbtune manometer https://www.carbtune.com/
uses a damper in the line from the carb barb to the gauge.

It is just a length of ridgid tube with a small (less than 1mm from memory) hole in it.

They do instruct the damper to go in line at lest 900mm from the gauges. The further from the gauges the more the dampening closer to the gauges gives less dampening.

Back