Project Canuck- 84 XS650 Project Build

Must be CANADIAN strength!

We used to be able to buy stripper like that, cough, cough.

Hell. I can’t put anything on my lawn to kill weeds here but apparently this stuff is ok. Maybe I will try it on my weeds.

I like the fact that there is no corrosive symbol on the can. Think they missed the point of the product because I can tell you it hurts if you get it on you skin.

First layer of stripper. The primer they used on these tanks is pretty tough.

Good news is I am not seeing any filler or patches. Thinking of getting it powdercoated and bondo would not be a good thing. Jury is still out on that decision.

2084D768-1D55-42AF-AD27-AEB73F3694D9.jpeg
152469DA-A549-49BB-B3D9-3E6197701D28.jpeg
B7DF2178-883C-4431-8DE4-5619EF6F2C10.jpeg
CADB799E-B4E9-4383-9D41-D70376BCC25B.jpeg
A9EF6FAF-B4A6-424C-A48F-3D4AEB33E83E.jpeg

Last edited:
I bet you like the look of the bare metal, no?

I wonder what it would polish up like and then clear coat....

Did find some filler on the left side. There are some ripples in the metal so powder coating will most likely be out as that is a lot to build up. And black shows everything. I really don't have a setup to do a good quality paint job so it will need to go to a shop for prep and paint,which will probably cost a fortune. Will have to sleep on it.

I did....self etching primer, sandable primer, three coats Rustoleum, 2 coats Spraymax 2K. Colour sand in between.

I can rattle can it, just need to find a place to do it. Not exactly good weather for outdoor spray painting (or garage door open) right now in Canada (as it looks like you can attest to). I may just set something up in my garage. It is heated but I will just need to cover things up.

Looks great Canuck!!! I like the way you took the stripper and old paint off with aluminum foil. I do like the look of the bare metal.

That one was purely accidental. I just covered the stripper with the foil to slow down the drying and increase the stripper time. The fact that it took most of the paint off when I peeled it back was a bonus. Needed little scrapping as 90% of it stuck to the foil. Who knew.

The metal look is growing on me but I may save that for the next build. Always wanted to make a rat rod bike.

Glad you came to your senses.... :rolleyes:
Bare metal's a great look for a rat bike. A full on resto.... not so much.

Nahhh....would have only considered that if I could polish it to a mirror finish. Way too much work.....;););)

Now the big question....to line or not to line the inside of the tank. Don't want to get into a debate on which liner is best as that is not the question. I already filled it with drywall screws and vinegar and did the "Dance of the Rusted Tank" and it looks ok from what I can see. Bit of flash rust and some small pits but there was never any flakes of rust from the start. It was not that bad to begin with and I have not identified any leaks during the "de-rusting" stage. May give it another go before the final fill and a good brushing with a metal tubing brush. I bought a liner kit a couple of months back, but now second guessing using it. I think it may be more risk than reward.....at least for now.

Personally, I'm not a fan of liners... they have to be redone periodically. I just remove all the rust and go with it. I suspect I'll be in the minority here though...

Runs and hides.....

Don’t feel too bad. I am in the same camp as you. I will take a closer look but the rust I am seeing is surface rust. There are some great rust removers on the market and may give them a try.

I think liners are great for custom tanks that are not 100% sealed or leakers but at this point I think I am trying to fix a problem that does not exist.

I actually have the full Por15 liner kit. It cam with a surface defreaser cleaner and rust remover. Only thing the rust remover is also the surface prep and will etch the metal getting it ready for paint. Any harm in using it. Supposed to remove all rust and varnish (which I can see). Might as well use the kit minus the liner if I can.

Back