Project... "Fast & Flow"

Thanks man!

Also, picked up an Antigravity battery today and I'm pretty sure I'll be ditching the electronics tube that I spent so much time on.

Lots done over the past few days. Couldn't resist sparking up the headlightalso.

D2C830C6-B0E3-49F8-9FC9-F54BE879C2D2_zpsxpdu6sbt.jpg

475DEC1F-C736-47FF-840F-DBC26E1272F8_zpsfmxw2z3p.jpg

4EC89C9E-C480-419B-8CDC-11E12201A00D_zpsyqd0vkcq.jpg

B8A71687-E367-4EC5-BF31-9DA70774EC3E_zpsx1vx2unp.jpg

67CAB143-4D3B-4C87-BA26-282897A01B11_zpsplojl1wj.jpg

I like them tires! Makes it look badass!

Thanks man, I think they add to the aggression of the bike.

No pics of recent progress but there's been lots going on. Frame has been completely stripped down and I welded out all remaining tabs that were only tacked into place. Currently it sits sand blasted and ready for powdercoat tonight. I've also removed the excess junk off the triple clamps and cleaned them up to be powdercoated tonight as well. The engine has been torn down to a point where I'm almost ready to split the cases and start cleaning everything up. Going to take my pistons and cylinders into a local shop this to get them measured and probably at least ball honed out. Then it will be a large order from XS650D for gaskets, seals, rings and probably a few other misc items I find need replacing along the way. I will post some pics once there's something worth showing :thumbsup:

I had the pistons and cylinders looked at by my local shop and they are saying I need a bore job. So I'm taking a look for pistons and these show up (link below), about half the price of MikesXS. I was able to read about them a bit on the site here and people seem to be satisfied with them so far. My only concern is that he lists them for 74-76 XS650's, why would it stop at '76?

EDIT: I checked his OE cross ref number he lists in the ad and it's listed as the stock size in an '83, so I'm going to take it as these pistons work from '74 to '83. Can anyone confirm?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/74-76-YAMAHA-XS650-75-5mm-PISTON-SETS-0-5mm-OVERSIZE-2-PISTONS-INCLUDE-XS650-1-/131196731185?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item1e8bef3f31

Last edited:
I've been following this build and really like it. I have my own project going on now and made some changes to my design after seeing yours. Like changing the degree of the down tube (near the seat) That little change makes a big difference IMO. Keep up the good work. When I get a little further in my build i'm going to start a build thread and post pic.

Also I noticed your'e not running a lower rear motor mount. Any reason? Just wondering.

I've been following this build and really like it. I have my own project going on now and made some changes to my design after seeing yours. Like changing the degree of the down tube (near the seat) That little change makes a big difference IMO. Keep up the good work. When I get a little further in my build i'm going to start a build thread and post pic.

Also I noticed your'e not running a lower rear motor mount. Any reason? Just wondering.

Thanks man, the backbone down tube angle was a huge reason why I decided to build my own hardtail vs buying one.

I did a lot of reading about motor mounts and found out that most bikes only have 3-4 motor mounts from the factory so I decided I could probably leave one out with no negative effects.

The more I look at your bike, the more I love it!! Love the backbone being in line with the front down tubes!

Thanks man!

I just got some photo's back from the upholstery place that wrapped my seat pan, turned out amazing, better than I imagined.

IMG_4919_zpsc842d509.jpg

unnamedmkkml_zps04d16f7b.jpg

unnamedmkmk_zps056a7736.jpg

Those ebay pistons look good to me! Shipped in 9 days from japan to Saskatoon, SK.I just got a set of jugs bored to match using a set of .50 mm overs here in saskatoon. Haven't fired it up yet but went together nicely. The rings where even gapped to spec after I got the barrels back from the shop. The machinist even said that they where so close in size that he didn't have to bore match each piston. He did however say there was a couple sharp casting edges on the skirt that he lightly filed back. Nice bike by the way! The lines are very tight and looks clean!!

awesome build man!! cant wait to see the finished bike. love the organization with the motor tear down hope I can keep mine that neat.

Back