Pulling the Barrels

coder72

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hi XS650 fans,

I am tearing down the engine of my 72 XS and am stuck on the cylinder barrels. I can't get it separated from the top engine casing.

The crank turns fine so the pistons are not stuck at all. Just seems like the gasket is holding tight or something.

I have hit it a few times with a rubber mallet but don't want to damage anything. Any tips on how to get this thing apart would be much appreciated.

Welcome to the club! There is an adapter that is threaded into the front of the upper case that connects to the oil feed pipe from the head that has to be removed before the cyls can be lifted.......Unless the PO glued the gaskets on:(, then maybe a sh*tload of penetrating oil....and time.

"Hate to ask, but have you done the obvious? Is the head off?"

Yes, the head is off. Cam tensioner is out. Cam chain guide is out. Oil feed pipe is off. Everything obvious is off but it won't budget. Wondering if there is something else I am missing.

Sorry, should have been more explicit.

Thanks for the reply.

"There is an adapter that is threaded into the front of the upper case that connects to the oil feed pipe from the head that has to be removed before the cyls can be lifted"

Hmm... don't see an adapter. The oil feed pipe is out. As is the front cam chain guide. The cam chain guide is the only thing that seems to attach to the front of the cylinders.

There doesn't seem to be anything holding the cylinders on but the gasket. If it's glued on then that would explain it I guess. Should it come off fairly easy?

..... and is fitted to the bottom of the oil pipe with a gland nut, think of the flared end and fitting on a steel brake line .....

OilPipe.jpg

The correct removal method is to take the pipe off the fitting, then remove the fitting from the engine. The bottom of the cylinders has a lip on the front. It sticks under the hex part of the fitting. The cylinder won't lift much, barely 1/8", before that lip hits the hex on the fitting, stopping the cylinders from coming up any more.

If you removed the oil pipe and fitting together by just unscrewing the fitting, you may have ruined the seal between the pipe and fitting. I guess whether or not it squirts oil out when you put it back together will tell you that, lol.

Probably just stuck on the dowl pins. ???? ( prybar, screwdriver and hammer )
I have a 79 apart in my living room, looking at it rite now and don't see any thing other than the studs holding it on.

Yes, cam is out (head is off). Didn't break the chain yet, but probably will need to at some point. Was able to remove the cam easily without breaking the chain by removing the bearings first.

I'll try to include a couple pics of where I'm at.

Attachments

• 2014-10-22 19.18.44.jpg
    2014-10-22 19.18.44.jpg
    196.6 KB · Views: 172
  • 2014-10-22 19.19.34.jpg
    2014-10-22 19.19.34.jpg
    191.1 KB · Views: 176
Possible corrosion and/or rust accumulation between the liners/cyls and the case.
If a PO ran it with no base gasket, they could have used a sealant :(.
Soak the base with penetrating oil, gently, tap upward on each side of the cyls aiming at the vertical metal 'bridge', not at the fins:wink2:, while also trying a prybar under the cam chain adjuster housing *repeat* gently. Alternate hammer swinging with er... bar prying... with alot of soaking in between.
G' luck:wink2:

"they could have used a sealant"

That's what I'm worried about. Okay, I will give the penetrating oil and *gentle* tapping / prying.

Thanks! I'll report back.

Have you considered hanging it by the cylinders? Letting the weight of the motor and gravity work for you? Gravity does work 24/7. It wouldn't have to be eye level. Half a inch or so.

I have an electric heat gun. got it from Harbor Freight. About $10. Use it to heat along the gasket area. The heat may soften the sealer. If pointed mostly at one side like the jugs. The jugs might expand faster than the case. This may help break the grip of the sealer.
Leo

Back