Questions about spark plug caps and wires with Boyer iginition

poorman9

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I have a 81 650H running a boyer blue box (Micro-Digital Ignition System - kit 00103), I bought this bike with the blue box, so I'm back tracking a bit here.

The terminal between my spark plug wire and the Gill ignition coil has broken off (see photo below). Where can i order new copper terminals for this? I took the coil into three different shops and they all just could understand why the coil didn't have a screw on connection, apparently this type of connection uncommon?

Also, apparently I'm running 5K ohm spark plug caps with this. Can somebody explain why?

And actually I want some new wires too. Can someone suggest the wires I should be using with this system? High Tension Wires? Performance Silicone Wires? 7mm, 8mm?

Basically I need help setting up the correct cap, wire and coil end or a link to where I can buy it with out assembly required.

Thanks.

Photo%20on%202011-05-10%20at%2014.23%20%232.jpg

I'm not familiar with this coil, but there's a good chance you can re-use the connector that broke off, on the wires of your choice.

Well, there goes that idea :) I'd google up ppl who sell that coil and see what they sell to go along with it.

On cars with a distributor the distributor end of the wire is sometimes a thing about as big around as a pencil. It makes contact on the outside in the distributor. It has an open side, so you might be able to squeeze it together tight enough to fit snugly around the contacts on the coil you have. The other side of that connector is a thing you crimp on the wire, after exposing some of the conductor and laying it back on the wire. You could get those at an auto parts place. It looks like there's a rubber boot on the wire that you could reuse. Also, those coils might be standard equipment on new Triumphs, so you could call your local dealership for info.

For anybody eles out there looking for this connector

Here's what Boyer sells -
"Prices direct from us are:
COIL00010 HT lead copper core £2.59 per metre
PLUG00133 NGK plastic right angled red plug caps £2.76 each
COIL00002 Coil clip £0.43 each"

They say it takes a week to ship to the US and costs about $5

Also, 650central does carry it. $4.50 for the coil clips and boots, plus $7 handeling fee plus $6 shipping.

Back