Quick ? about forks

From 74 up all the necks were the same length. So all forks with the trees from 74 up swap.
The 74 -76 were 34 mm forks and used the two piston calipers. The 77 up were 35 mm forks and used the single piston calipers.
The 76 used a two piece disc brake rotor, The 79 used a single piece disc brake rotor. The two piece disc has more offset to work with the two piston caliper. About .2 inch.
So putting the 79 forks on your 76 you need to use a 77 up disc brake rotor. These work with the single piston caliper.
Leo

Okay thanks i have a 76 that i already hard tailed but i just found a good 79 that is complete running factory bike for $500 and i was going to use the forks wheels breaks pretty much everything from the 79 although my 76 has a 1 piece rotor and single piston caliper. Thanks Leo i have been waiting to afford parts i need everything except the frame and motor and when i found this bike for 500 and it is complete and running i jumped on it.

If your 76 has a one piece rotor and a single piston caliper then it must have a 77 up fork on it. The bolt spacing for the calipers is different and won't swap.
Unless you have built an adapter plate so the later caliper will mount on the earlier forks.
Leo

Well that being the case I would just use the 79 forks and triples breaks and wheels then it should all work together if the triples/forks will bolt on the 76 neck. thanks Leo this is my first bike outside of dirt bikes so I learning from you guy's.

Hey Thanks Leo when I got back to my 76 And looked the rotor is two piece anyway i got the 79 and i do not know what has been done besides 750 kit but this thing is scary when you give it gas it wants to stand on end i was cruseing the block and just toched the throtle and i was in a wheelie. i'll take more pics today

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    166.3 KB · Views: 111
LOL ya I'm not great with computers and techno gadgets I ended up trading an old outboard for it instead of cash can't wait to tranfers the motor wheels breaks and forks to the 76 hard tail

Back