Quick Intro !

SteveH

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello !
Just figured I'd give a quick intro, as I've been lurking here for the past couple of weeks. I just picked up a pretty minty '75 XS650B and have intentions of doing a basic resto-mod on it. For the moment my gameplan is just to get the bike in top running shape (Oil/Filter changes, Carb rebuild, valves, etc) and get it repainted back to what it should be (you'll see in a minute...). As I need to dig into the brakes, I figure I'll do the dual disc setup with braided lines.
Anyway, as this is the interwebs and no pic = no exist, here ya go:
IMG_00336.jpg

IMG_00341.jpg

IMG_00342.jpg

IMG_00338.jpg

As you can see its not in bad shape. The chrome engine covers need to be addressed, as does the oil cooler removal. There's a leaky valve inspection cover gasket, as well as needing new intake manifolds and fuel line. I have the original rear blinkers that'll go back on, as well as removing that sissy bar. All in all though - it runs nicely and starts OK (carbs...), and doesn't seem to burn any oil (with 31k on the clock). I hope to keep it going for many more - as it's younger sibling only has 2100mi on it:

IMG_1168.jpg

Well enough for now I suppose. I'll post my technical questions over in their respective spots.

Thanks !
Steve

Nice pic of you takin a pic....ha ha.....I want that XS400.....thats the only two pics I see....try again when I get home. Are you in Delaware? Welcome to the Madness. Hope to see you around....Kev.

OK now I can see the other pics. Nice scoot! You found that around Wilmington?

I work at the Ford dealer on Kirkwood Hgwy. Dont see many XS's around there or down here in Slower Dealware either. That thing is clean! I still want the 400. Haha...Kev.

Thanks guys. Pretty damn cool that we'll have 3 650s in the same general area. Should hit up BWW or something after I get this thing on the road.

Ya I picked the bike up not far from my house actually...Was a good deal. The bike's been sitting for years, so there's some work to be done - I hope to have it up and ready to rock in the next couple of weeks.

Nice find!! Unless there is somethin I'm not seeing she is a rider like she sits.
One off paint scheme and CHROMED(?) engine cases?
The seat though would that be from a 78 special maybe?
Wecome to the board SteveH.

Thanks - there's a coupla things that need to be addressed with it before I can ride it daily. The carbs need to be gone through, new fuel lines, one of the inspection covers is leaking, I pretty much have no brakes (lever goes to the bar) and the oil cooler setup sucks. I think its also about time for a clutch job - so I figure when I take the engine covers off to remove the chrome, I'll do the clutch, oil seals (that I can), clutch pushrod bushing, inspect the oil pump, and retension the bendex spring.
I also need to get the rear blinkers on - that sissy bar off, and the LH control pod needs some work.

Im not really sure what year the seat is off of....

You don't want these. If the chrome were in good shape; I'd keep them. But its flaking off pretty bad on one side:
IMG_00339.jpg

It doesn't look like a quality triple chrome job, I can peel it off with my fingernail.

Ok guys - just a quick couple of updates....

I was able to source some replacement side covers as I was unable to strip the chrome myself; nor find any local supplier who would do it for me (They all now use HCL). So I yanked the covers off, and figured I'd start with the LH side. That's where I made a couple of finds....

1 - The sprocket nut was loose...Like less than finger tight.
2 - The pushrod seal looked to be in good shape, but I yanked it out anyway
3 - A 3/8" bit works great to remove the pushrod bushing (sphincter moment none the less...)
4 - I screwed up the new busing when attempting to reinstall. I thought it would be best to use a socket to install - I was wrong.

So as it sits on the LH side Im awaiting my new pushrod bearing, then I'll reinstall it and the seals. I figured while I was there I'd install a PMA, so that should arrive on Wednesday.
On the RH side I removed the clutch and the starter bendex. The teeth were in great shape with no noticeable wear. So I just crimped up the hoop on the gear and re-installed. I also purchased one of Mike's replacement needle bearings and installed it.
So that's where it sits for now. I need to pick up some oil to soak the new friction plates in, install them, and button up that side.

Ya - that sounds good. Might be a couple of more weeks until I get this thing on the road; but I'll hop on the '400 or the Goose.
Sunday morning breakfast maybe on Main St ??

Ya - that sounds good. Might be a couple of more weeks until I get this thing on the road; but I'll hop on the '400 or the Goose.
Sunday morning breakfast maybe on Main St ??

Hop on the 400. I would love to see it. Main st. stanton ? Marys is good for for Breakfast. There are are more than 10 people from delaware on this site. It would be great if We could could get them all lined up for a picture. SteveH I will PM you my cell phone number call me we can set up time and place. :thumbsup: John

John -
Sounds good - as I said in my PM lets connect on Saturday and see what we can do !

Gents,
Been almost a month, so I figured it time for an update...Here's where things stand -

-Found new engine covers and polished the shit out of them
-Installed new pushrod bushing and seal
-Installed new output shaft seal
-Installed Hugh's PMA kit and replaced the crank seal
-Installed PAMCO*
-Retensioned the bendix spring
-Installed new clutch, springs, thrust bearing
-Installed Mike's oil 'cooler'
-Removed PO's 'oil cooler' and installed new oil pipe

I still have to finish cleaning and rebuilding the carbs. As I've posted elsewhere, Im still having issues fitting my new coil for the PAMCO - so that's still an open task.
I'll hopefully have the tank back from paint in the next week or so, so I'll also have to start cleaning everything.

Couple of pics where it stands...some things back from paint too :D

IMG_00351.jpg

IMG_00352.jpg

Back