Quick question about speedo cable

OctoberNotice

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
My speedometer cable broke on me the other day going down the road. I have a 1980 xs650 Special.

I found this one on ebay to replace it. I just wanted some peace of mind if anyone could tell me if it would fit. The description says "1980-1981 Yamaha XS650-2 Special II"

With mine being a special, is there a difference between that and a Special II?

I'll probably order anyways, but just wanted to make sure I didn't overlook anything silly.

Thanks guys.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1978-1981-Y...ies&hash=item4d02a323dd&vxp=mtr#ht_4817wt_961

Last edited:
Speedometer cable?

I mean I see the caps on the ends, I figured it's in a sleeve as the speedo cable is just more or less a long tight spring

Last edited:
You should go with mikesxs.com. I just ordered one from him yesterday and it's $2 cheaper than what you're looking at and you won't have to worry about it being wrong.

Your E-bay pluck looks fine, it's just brand new, and they are usually rolled and capped, and often stuck to a sheet of cardboard. I'll order any cable for any bike from Motion Pro, I don't give a shit what they cost, I want them to LAST! Ya gets what ya pays for.

Paddy, you should check a few posts on Mike's getting stuff wrong. It happens. Not a slam, just a clarification.

No difference between a Special and a Special II on the speedometer cable.

Back