"quick" throttles

osteoderm

out of the box
Reaction score
Anyone have much experience with quick/quarter-turn throttles?

With the stock '74 throttle tube/housing and VM34's, I almost always had to re-position my hand for wide-open, and the throttle was slow to "dip" when shifting high'n'fast.

I see loads of throttle housings available with all sorts of different cam profiles, ratios, blah blah. Before I drop $75+/- on a throttle housing/tube/cam combo, is there anything special I should look for or avoid? Thanks...

Re-bending the linkage at the carb(s) is not applicable to my VM roundslides (no linkage to bend!).

I've already replaced the slide springs with the lightest Mikuni units from Sudco, so the action is easy; it just takes almost a 1/2 turn of the grip to get WOT. I tried shimming the cam, but the stock housing is too tight of a fit.

I'm no longer using the stock throttle housing. My dream is to find a dual-cam housing so I can run dual cables without the $#%$ splitter, but all I'm finding are old britbike housings that don't seem to be large enough for a "quicker" cam.

I'm not completely against a contemporary Domino throttle unit (plenty of cam options from G2), but would prefer to hear from somebody/anybody who has tried 1/4 throttles of any sort, get feedback, etc., before I swallow the slick advertising and buy on faith.

I'm running the Motion Pro "Turbo" throttle. It is quicker than stock but not as quick as a 1/4 throttle, perfect for the street. I do experience a bit of strain from the stiffer pull but I don't go on long rides anymore so it's not really a problem.

For ages I used the Gunnar Gasser quickturn throttle on my dirt bikes. I have VMs on my bike and plan to use a Gunnar or similar, but to keep the throttle action acceptable you'll need the lighter return springs which you already have. The splitter is a PITA to set up the first time but after that it's fine.

The splitter is a PITA to set up the first time but after that it's fine.

Yeah, the previous owner installed the VMs and kinda mangled the splitter install. When I redo it, I think the only "trick" will be just getting really fussy with the lengths and clean cuts, for which I already have the correct housing cutters.

Thanks for the suggestions... Gonna look into those throttles.

Back