Quick timing question 😉

IronFist_650

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
As i understand it my timing is retarded. Do i turn the timing plate clockwice to get it more advanced? Running a newtronic ignition and kickstart only.

Cheers!
20240401_170614.jpg

Also, your brushes are installed incorrectly. The brush wire should wrap around the outside of each bracket, not the inside as you have them. If you look closely, you'll see there is a small slot in the outside of each holder for the brush wire to run through. They should look like this .....

LateBrushesOutsideLabeled.jpg

Also of note, the insulation blocks on the brushes are rectangular shaped, not square, and only fit into the cut-outs on the brush holder correctly if they are orientated right. You want the long side running up and down. It appears you got that right.

Also, your brushes are installed incorrectly. The brush wire should wrap around the outside of each bracket, not the inside as you have them. If you look closely, you'll see there is a small slot in the outside of each holder for the brush wire to run through. They should look like this .....

View attachment 309528

Also of note, the insulation blocks on the brushes are rectangular shaped, not square, and only fit into the cut-outs on the brush holder correctly if they are orientated right. You want the long side running up and down. It appears you got that right.
Oh... i never did anything with the brushes. Thanks for notice. I will have a look at that!

As i understand it my timing is retarded. Do i turn the timing plate clockwice to get it more advanced? Running a newtronic ignition and kickstart only.

Cheers!View attachment 308761
So I understand you, is that timing checked at tickover? Or with the engine revved? Thanks for clarifying, I'll be doing that myself soon so I want to understand exactly.

..... but you should check it at both, especially if you're still using the stock ATU. They are made to advance the timing exactly 25° when new, but as they loosen up and wear, the amount of advance can increase. You can have the timing set perfectly at idle but it could be over-advancing if there is wear in the unit. If that's the case, then you must compensate for that by setting the timing a little retarded at idle, so it doesn't over-advance at full advance. So, check the timing at idle AND at full advance.

..... but you should check it at both, especially if you're still using the stock ATU. They are made to advance the timing exactly 25° when new, but as they loosen up and wear, the amount of advance can increase. You can have the timing set perfectly at idle but it could be over-advancing if there is wear in the unit. If that's the case, then you must compensate for that by setting the timing a little retarded at idle, so it doesn't over-advance at full advance. So, check the timing at idle AND at full advance.
The advance unit is new. But i will check both. Just needed to start somewhere as this is all new to me. Thanks for all the input and tips. I try to learn as i go 😉

Yes, it was the only good pic I had of correctly installed brushes, lol. My '78 came to me with one right, one wrong .....

EarlyBrushMountLabeled.jpg

I didn't even realize it at first (because I didn't know any better, lol) but once I learned how they should be, I corrected it.

So, i have made some progress on the timing issue. But, it is still in the advanced side (on idle) and i can't rotate the timing plate any more. The cam chain is set with the pin flush and there are just a small movement when rotating the engine. With flush i mean when the pin is the furthest out. The advance unit is brand new. What is the next i should check?

Thanks
20240406_172941.jpg

Confirm the cam crankshaft notches are both at 12 oclock at the same time. As the chain stretches from wear, (overtightening) the cam notch will move some.
Remove the ignition plate, extend the notches with a round file. :shrug: is the quick fix, over-advanced spark is not a good way to run.
I've done this, it worked fine.

Last edited:
I'm scratching my head here. Right cylinder is retarded and left advanced. Newtronic ignition. What to do 🤔

:twocents: you are going to have to adjust the relationship between the two triggers. Are they both mounted to the plate with screws? is there any slop when the screws are loosened? if not a bit of filing of the screw holes in the pick ups should give you "some" adjustment.
Have you checked plugs/ caps for resistance are they matched left and right? Not sure of the relationship of resistance causing voltage rise to spark timing.

:twocents: you are going to have to adjust the relationship between the two triggers. Are they both mounted to the plate with screws? is there any slop when the screws are loosened? if not a bit of filing of the screw holes in the pick ups should give you "some" adjustment.
Have you checked plugs/ caps for resistance are they matched left and right? Not sure of the relationship of resistance causing voltage rise to spark timing.
I can actually adjust them about 2mm. Wich one is for the right/left cylinder.

Back