R6 Forks

Could you take the inner and outer bearing sizes to a bearing or machine shop to find some bearings, or the closest bearings and alter the stem to suit them?

Not R6, but I am fitting FZR600R (I think you guys call it a YZF?) complete front end http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12980 Just fitted a new set of XS650 s/h bearings to the FZR stem and hey presto.
Good luck!
6254949517_e287d79aae_s.jpg

We call the later Yammie 600 a YZF R6 and the earlier model the FZR.

LESLIEONYZF.jpg
[/IMG]

I had a YZF 750 in the early 90s

I am keeping the 7 spoke 19" mag wheel with twin discs, I am going to keep the centre line of the R6 forks and fit spacers/adaps to suit the discs and make them the same centre line of the R6 blue spot calipers.

I will be drawing a new set of yokes/trees up on AutoCAD and getting my local machine shop Mann Engineering (Richard 01623 861 500), to make me a set his work is top class.

Pictures will be posted as soon as i get started on the front end

Dirtbag,

I will be very interested to see how you get on fitting R6 USD forks, would these forks fit an earlier R6? Here in the UK R1 front ends seem to be much cheaper, are they the same fitment?

How difficult would it be to fit the original Mag wheel?

Sorry for all the questions, I'm just really interested!

Cheers Luke

Leslie,

Why are you having a new set of yokes/triple trees made? If you are having them made couldn't you have them made so that the calipers line up without spacing the discs? What discs are you going to use, FZR? I beleive that they have the same PCD as the originals.

Cheers Luke

Leslie,

Why are you having a new set of yokes/triple trees made? If you are having them made couldn't you have them made so that the calipers line up without spacing thdisc'scs? Whadisc'scs are you going to use, FZR? believeve that they have the same PCD as the originals.

Cheers Luke

Luke I want to keep my XS/RD 7 spoke front wheel withdisc's discs, I am trying to balance the look of the build so it does not look to modern and I want to keep a lot of the old school look.

That is why I have sourced a set of 5EB 1999-2002 R6 forks, they do not look to dissimilar to the original forks but with the benefits of Ohlins springs and with a set of blue spot calipers.

I have sourced a sdisc's new discs that are ebc but not with the modern centersdisc'sting discs so they look like the original but still a significanDon'tgrade.

Dont get me wrong its not upgrades to allow me to go fasteraestheticely asthetic.

Luke I want to keep my XS/RD 7 spoke front wheel withdisc's discs, I am trying to balance the look of the build so it does not look to modern and I want to keep a lot of the old school look.

That is why I have sourced a set of 5EB 1999-2002 R6 forks, they do not look to dissimilar to the original forks but with the benefits of Ohlins springs and with a set of blue spot calipers.

I have sourced a sdisc's new discs that are ebc but not with the modern centersdisc'sting discs so they look like the original but still a significanDon'tgrade.

Dont get me wrong its not upgrades to allow me to go fasteraestheticely asthetic.

R6FORKSXS650UPGRADE003.jpg
[/IMG]

Luke please find attached a PDF and DXF file of the top yoke design.

Leslie

Attachments

• XS TOP YOKES RICHARDS COPY-Model.pdf
    80.4 KB · Views: 252
  • XS TOP YOKES RICHARDS COPY.dxf
    715.2 KB · Views: 154
I have been trying to draw a set of top clamps, but i m having a hard time accurately measuring the offset. How did you go about making those measurments?

Leslie, are you making the new set of trees yourself? I have a set of 07 R6S forks I've wanted to put on my bike. The stock R6S clamps will put the trail at 5.3 inches. From the reading i've done 4-6" of trail is recommended. Stock xs650 trail is about 4.97". I'd like to be closer to low 4"s, which would require the R6S forks clamps to need much more offset. I found a flat track site that sells custom triples for around $500. Much more than i'm looking to spend on this project. Got enough in the wheels already.

The other big hurdle is the stock R6S forks have a 22mm front axle. The hub i'm using is off a 00 YZ125 and has 20mm ID bearings. There is no way to fit a 22mm ID bearing in the hub. Therefore I'd need a custom axle made if thats even possible to adapt the wheel to the forks. I 'm leaning towards selling the forks and rebuilding the stock ones and running them for now.

-Craig

I have been trying to draw a set of top clamps, but i m having a hard time accurately measuring the offset. How did you go about making those measurments?

I built the front up forks XS wheel discs and the R6 yokes, I had to make 2 x 9.115mm spacers to get the size of the spacers, as that was the differance in the center line of the discs on the XS whell fitted and the center line of the blue spot calipers,

I think that the narrow yokes of the XS650 would have looked to out of proportion so that is one of the reasons I decided on the R6 dimensions

DISCADAP006.jpg
[/IMG]

The yokes are in production as we speak they are going to be £300 app dont know till they are finished.

Leslie

Back