Ran for minutes then quit. Advice please.

Reaction score
So I recently bought a 1980xs650g, i love the thing, I've been replacing a lot of things on the bike, mostly the basics, new carbs(broke old ones), oil change/filter, petcock fixed up, etc. I've been having some bad wiring problems with fuses burning out, namely the fuse that leads to the regulator rectifier. I haven't figured that all out, but I figured out i can start my bike up if I leave that fuse out. So in my enthusiasm I did so tonight, and she fired up great! I decided to take her around the block and back, things felt great then about half way around the block I killed the engine, and when I went to start her up if seemed like my battery was dead, I figured so since it wasn't being charged by the generator. But I got back to the grace to leave that the battery was fine, I got her running again, but when I give her gas, she quits instantly. The left exhaust was warm, but the right exhaust was not, on checking the spark plugs I found that the left one was a little white, and the right one was wet form either gas or oil, (most likely gas) and some what black/ or dirty. Im thinking it's one of 3 things.
1:I need new jets(most likely bitter I assume.)
2: she's misfiring
3: there is some sort of short in my coil/ coil line to the right side preventing a spark.

I'm lost here guys. If you've got any thoughts let me know! Thanks!

Ps: if you guys know anything on my wiring issue explained above, let me know! Thanks!

Welcome to the forum.
On your 80 you have four fuses. One main fuse, one for the ignition, one for lighting and one for everything else.
The main fuse has a red wire on each side. The ignition, red/white, the lighting, red/yellow, everything else brown. Which one is blowing?
The main fuse is between the reg/rec output and battery. If your everything else fuse is blowing, it does feed power to the reg/rec and the brush on the stator. If you think the fuse is blowing because of a charging system problem, unplug the 8 wire plug on the reg/rec. This unhooks the entire charging system from the electrical system. Now put in a new 10 amp fuse, turn on the key, does it blow?
If it doesn't then you have a short to ground on the brown wire some where.
If it does blow then the charging system isn't the problem.
The everything else fuse sends power out to the horn, turn signals, neutral light, brake light switches, as well as the brush and reg/rec.
You need to trace these circuits to find the short.
A wiring diagram, a multimeter and some time is all you need.
"new" carbs, do you mean another set of stock carbs or aftermarket?
Do you have a wiring diagram for your bike, can be found in the "Some Wiring Diagrams" thread.
Do you have a repair manual? It has diagrams too. It also tells about how to troubleshoot things.
You will have to get your electrical problems right before you can worry about the carbs.
Leo

Last edited:
Thanks @XSLeo I appreciate the comments a ton! I forgot to mention I did leave the 8 wire plug has been unplugged when running. The fuse that has been burning out is the third fuse to the left if you are standing behind the bike, the wires leading to that fuse are both brown. I'm pretty sure one of those goes to the regulator, then the stator. The other I think goes to the starter solenoid. And when I leave that fuse out I can start my bike, and the taillight, license plate light, and the speedometer works, but nothing else. I've been using 2 35a fuses and 2 20a's but I've read that I my bikes needs between 10a-20a, is that true?? Also I have multiple diagrams! So many I'm getting confused, I just got a supposed amazing one from Japan, and I'll probably re wire the whole thing with that.. Thanks!

The main fuse, the one with red wires should be a 20 amp, the rest 10 amp.
The fuse you have blowing is the everything else fuse.
Ok, it's fine with the reg/rec unplugged, but blows with it plugged in?
If you look at a diagram you can follow the brown wire from the main switch, from the switch it feeds the brush and the reg/rec. Then it goes to the fuses. At the fuses it feeds all three fuses. The brown wire out of the fuses feeds power to a lot of things. The brakes switches, the self canceler, neutral light, horn, turn signal flasher.
Leo

Back