Rant about exhaust

bigpup

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Why in the world is custom exhaust so expensive for the xs 650 on ebay? there sure doesn't look like alot of work to it, but guys are selling simple exhaust designs for over $200 bucks, I mine as well go out and buy a welder and start making my own. Anyone know of a good resource for making a set of pipes that are not overpriced. I know gordonscott on here does good work, but I would like to stay under $100 bucks. Thanks fellas.

Thats the cost of buying parts my man. No one wants to make a set of pipes and loose their time and money selling them. Have you ever priced Harley Pipes? Sportbike pipes? XS's are on the cheap side.

Even when I bought a stainless bend kit to build pipes for my wife's bike, I had $150 in tubing and another $200 in a muffler (supertrapp)...

Good luck. Maybe you can make a set for less than $100 but it will be a labor of love. (especially for the first set)

The HK's on my 1100 were right at $500.00. A good set of pipes aren't cheap. I think most of the things I see for the XS's are priced very reasonable compared to my V-Star. IMHO

I understand your thinking. I only have old bikes which equals no payment. I think about my neighbor with a HD Street Glide who is adding parts AND making a $400 a month payment. I'm cheap too. I like the fun factor of my old bikes at a lot less cost and in the winter when they are sitting I'm not paying every month. .:bike:

stock exhaust is like 20 bucks on ebay i think...grab the zag saw and cut that bad boy right before the muffler, make up some baffles, maybe a lil grinding, exhaust wrap...presto exhaust for under a hundo HAHA

Check out Gordon Scott, he has a web site, and depending on what you want, his work has a good reputation, and his prices are pretty reasonable, especially if you want pipes for a Bobber/chopper. This is his website;

http://mysite.verizon.net/reszw9bp/

DLD

Hi Bigpup, Here's the deal! Materials cost money, I buy pipe in bulk and still pay over $20.00 a stick. Saw blades ( carbide tip ) cost me $130.00 a piece+ shipping. Welding gas is $72.00 a tank! Welding rods and tungsten adds up. You can put wings on my electric meter when I turn on the tig LOL... The materials for collars and flanges cost money. On most of my systems I make brackets and supply stainless hardware. The time spent making my simplest system that I don't have to figure out bends is just over 4hrs. I cut the collars to length and sand them down and flanges are cut and sanded, then I bend the pipe, then I put it all on the bike fitting it together and getting it strait. I also at this time mark the ends at angle to be slash cut and measure length. Goes back to the saw for ends to be cut. Then I take it off, weld collars on in place and put the pipes back on bike. Then I make connection bracket and make my own threded block to connect the two. I buy good boxes ($3.50 a piece in bulk) for shipping and then package it all up and bring it to UPS store. I also spend a lot of time on emails with people, just ask anyone who has bought a set from me :D After typing and reading this I think I'm going to have to raise my prices :laugh: Trust me this is a labour of love not big profit. Money wise I would be much better off taking the time spent making pipes and going to work for someone else welding. One more thing, I have spent WELL over $10,000 in tools to do this, and thats not a lot of tools! Welder, 3 types of benders, drill press and metal cutting saw are the big $$$$ items. Not being a dink Bigpup, we're buddys :cheers: but just letting you know whats involved. The big money systems I make less profit on because they take sooooooo much time to make :shrug: P.S Really hand made...

Last edited:
Trust me this is a labour of love not big profit. Money wise I would be much better off taking the time spent making pipes and going to work for someone else welding.
Which is why I'll be coming to you when I'm due for pipes. I'm a big believer in supporting the "little guys" that give back to a particular community of enthusiasts.

Kent

thanks fellas, for all the replies. I do realize materials cost money. like I said just ranting. Funny thing I have bought in the past a few 650's for the same price of cheaper exhaust systems. Scott, I've said it before, you the man!

I once called someone on ans Xs he had listed on craigslist. It was a basket case and 2 hours away. I was trying to find out exactly what he had before driving that far. It was not a great deal unseen so i asked him if he was firm on his price. He went off and yelled at me

"YOU XS GUYS ARE THE CHEAPEST BASTARDS I EVER MET"

I laughed and told him I have other words I like to use to desribe my approach towards buying other peoples junk but anyway, keep the bike.

Last edited:
Wow crazy post. When anyone see's my gordonscott pipes they freak out that they were less than $200.00. I thinks it the best money spent on building a bike. When I look at all the great work someone put into there bike and then see they just chopped the ends off there stock pipes I just shake my head.
Hell the exhaust on my sons 85 cc motocross bike is over $400
All my buddies with Harleys spend over a grand on there exhaust
Too my $200 is nothing to spend on a item that makes the whole bike.

I hear ya , I guess I'll just buy the 1.5'' pipes on mikes already chromed for $139.00

Your original post was about custom exhaust. Mass produced overseas and custom built one at a time are completely different things. I think both are a great value depending what exactly you're looking for.

i just got my new pipes and they cost me $300 for hand made hand bent american steel. i handed the money over with a big ass grin on my face. anything under $500 for full customs is a steal.

Back