Rear axel threading short.

bcon

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
I want to avoid using spacers on my rear axel. What is the dimensions of my 79 xs 650 rear axel. I am looking to add about 3/4" of threading to the axel and removing excess, and redrilling for the pin. Has anyone done this? Thanks.

I don't think threading it alone will help. The swingarm dimension with the chain adjusters are set up to work on that dimension including spacersand XS hub. If you narrow the swingarm then you get close on the rear sprocket to swingarm clearance. If you change the rear sprocket spacing then you need to change the front sprocet alignment and it goes on from there. Why shorten the axle?

Thanks for the reponse. I wasn't clear on my project. This is a TC Bros hard tail modification. I want to avoid using the washers suggested. Just thinking the threading and cutting would be a better product. I bough a 16mm die but it is too small to thread the axle.
Thanks Again

The stock rear is 20mm. Not sure about your plan though, I have a feeling that the axle is hardened after threading. Might be hard to do and the results might not hold up so well. Also, have you tried faking everything - chain and brakes included - with those washers on the outside next to the nut to see if everything still clears the way you want to go? Swingarm or hardtail, I'd still be concerned about what TwoJugs mentioned.

This is all speculation and you may have thought of it all already, I'm just trying to envision the problems.

Thanks, I didn't consider the hardening. I could see that being a problem. My plan for now is to rough assemble with the washers. Thanks for the help.

i have the same problem what was the actual thread count and size of the die that you used it should have a number on the die

The frame is set to a certain spacing. If you shorten the axle and leave out the washers you will have to pull the frame in quite a bit.
Will both sides pull in even? Or will most of the movement come from just one side? If this happens you will have your rear wheel out of line.
The stock swing arm is 8 1/4 inches between the axle plates. This gives the proper space for the axle adjusters, spacers and wheels And line up straight.
Most Hard tails are set up with a bit more width to be able to use Harley wheels. These wheels are wider than our XS650 wheels. So to use the XS650 wheel it needs some extra spacers.
Once you get the wheel properly spaced with washers you can get new spacers cut to match the length of the old spacers and washers.
Leo

I think the '73 and older axles are a little shorter.

Back