Rear Axle Torque for the '75

mrtwowheel that exhaust uses a compression fitting to join the header and muffler. If you stepped out the muffler with washers wouldn't that throw alignment out?

Okey dokey - here is that slide deck on threaded fasteners I mentioned earlier. In reading it - please accept my apologies for the eye charts and for some of the mathematical complexity. You can just ignore that if you like and have a look at the following slides:
  • SLIDES 12-16 - for an explanation of axial and shear loads;
  • SLIDE 17 - for the variation in bolt axial force with fastener torque (the issue of fastener smoothness and lubrication);
  • SLIDES 24-27 - for an explanation of why some bikes often leak oil and others never seem to leak (its all about the length of fasteners and studs - who says size doesn't matter? ;) - and how much they can stretch when loaded);
  • SLIDE 28-29 - for an interesting sample calculation that explains head gasket fastener forces;
  • enjoy...!
Questions welcome...:popcorn:

Cheers,

Pete

Attachments

• Threaded_Fasteners - FRISE.pdf
    3 MB · Views: 145
Alright already! Enough with the NASA measurements! You're at one end of the spectrum, Mailman's at the other. Somebody, here, someplace, talked about torque specs, saying: "...when it starts to get tight, and you grunt, that enough. If you fart, that's too tight"... Might've been Downeaster....

mrtwowheel that exhaust uses a compression fitting to join the header and muffler. If you stepped out the muffler with washers wouldn't that throw alignment out?

I see what you are saying, but that is not where I would loosen the exhaust to move it out of the way for anything. If I had to, I would loosen the header at the cylinder, and the whole exhaust would "swivel" upwards. I think the whole exhaust could be moved upwards and out like this to add spacers (washers) between the exhaust mounting tab and the mount under the foot peg. At least on mine this could be done.

Scott

I see what you are saying, but that is not where I would loosen the exhaust to move it out of the way for anything. If I had to, I would loosen the header at the cylinder, and the whole exhaust would "swivel" upwards. I think the whole exhaust could be moved upwards and out like this to add spacers (washers) between the exhaust mounting tab and the mount under the foot peg. At least on mine this could be done.

Scott

Yup, I'll bet that would work and it wouldn't take too much to allow a good sized box-end wrench onto that axle nut.

But aren't the rear pegs and bracket one unit? If you slide it out it also rotates up and that hole on the rear footrest is round not oblong?

Yup, I'll bet that would work and it wouldn't take too much to allow a good sized box-end wrench onto that axle nut.

And that mounting tab on my exhaust has an oversized hole originally put there for a large tolerance when mounting the exhaust. This should allow the hole and threads to line up, even if the exhaust is kicked out a little.

Scott

I have often said that if you are patient enuf, a swap meet will eventually meet all your needs.
For the 27mm, additional Yama tool kit tools, bicycle chain tool, Puch combo tool, and cute little Puch tool pouch, the seller wanted $1.
I gave him $3.

026.JPG

If Yamaha had put that nut on the right side, like almost every other motorcycle, you could put that wrench on the nut with the handle facing rearward and step on it to loosen the nut. My nut is on the right side.

Scott

Back