Rear disc brake with spoke wheels.

Highside

Lord of the Flies
Reaction score
Is someone already making a hub for a spoke rear wheel with disc brakes??

If not I'm thinking on whittleing out my own.

I was thinking on using the spoke flange off of the drum brake in order to make it a simple swap for people with rear discs who want to convert to spoke wheels.

I don't think so..

I would like to see a 36 spoke rear hub (that accepts the XS sprocket and rear rotor) with smaller diameter flanges and have the flanges like 3 or 4 inches apart. If the bearings and spacers were the same it would be an easy swap with spokes from buchanans.

I don't think so..

I would like to see a 36 spoke rear hub (that accepts the XS sprocket and rear rotor) with smaller diameter flanges and have the flanges like 3 or 4 inches apart. If the bearings and spacers were the same it would be an easy swap with spokes from buchanans.

Yes, that's the idea at this point. I was going to use the drum brake spoke flange only to make it the easiest swap possible.

If there's spokes available that would allow me to drop the hub diameter, that would make the material I need to buy a lot cheaper.

Hopefully this part can be made for less than $200 retail so I can sell some of these and make up my costs.

I'm really suprised that no one has tried to make these yet. It's a simple lathe part.

Yes, that's the idea at this point. I was going to use the drum brake spoke flange only to make it the easiest swap possible.

If there's spokes available that would allow me to drop the hub diameter, that would make the material I need to buy a lot cheaper.

Hopefully this part can be made for less than $200 retail so I can sell some of these and make up my costs.

I'm really suprised that no one has tried to make these yet. It's a simple lathe part.

Omar's rear disc conversion

Posted via Mobile

A new hub would be better and cheaper than adapters. Plus you could increase the width of the flanges to make a stronger wheel (as long as the brake caliper doesn't get in the way). :twocents:

A new hub would be better and cheaper than adapters. Plus you could increase the width of the flanges to make a stronger wheel (as long as the brake caliper doesn't get in the way). :twocents:

Sounds like he's wanting to use some of the drum hub for the swap. Not just a new hub. That'd take some serious machining

Posted via Mobile

Sounds like he's wanting to use some of the drum hub for the swap. Not just a new hub. That'd take some serious machining

Posted via Mobile

Sorry I phrased it that way, but no, I'm going to make a comletely new hub. I was just going to copy the drum brake dimensions to make the swap as easy as possible.

If it would be better to redesign that flange, then I'll look into that. It's just that I'm a mere machinist and not an engineer. I was just trying to follow the K.I.S.S. principle.

Sorry I phrased it that way, but no, I'm going to make a comletely new hub. I was just going to copy the drum brake dimensions to make the swap as easy as possible.

If it would be better to redesign that flange, then I'll look into that. It's just that I'm a mere machinist and not an engineer. I was just trying to follow the K.I.S.S. principle.

Ah gotcha. Yes that's a different story, however that's still some serious machining.

Posted via Mobile

I think a lot of the people who would want these would be using them with 19" rear rims on trackers. So keeping the stock size flanges for the drum won't help them when looking for spokes. Besides, I think a disc brake hub would just look too big if the flanges were the same size as they are on the drum hub. :twocents:

If you are set on giving people the ability to use spokes from mikes, maybe make two versions, 1) a hub with flanges that match the front hub and 2) a hub with flanges that match the drum hub. For hub 1, people could use a 19" or 21" rim with front spokes from mikes. For hub 2, people could use either a 16" or 18" rim and get rear spokes from mikes.

I say forget all that and just make the hub how I want it with the small wide flanges! I'll get spokes from buchanans :D :wink2:

I think a lot of the people who would want these would be using them with 19" rear rims on trackers. So keeping the stock size flanges for the drum won't help them when looking for spokes. Besides, I think a disc brake hub would just look too big if the flanges were the same size as they are on the drum hub. :twocents:

If you are set on giving people the ability to use spokes from mikes, maybe make two versions, 1) a hub with flanges that match the front hub and 2) a hub with flanges that match the drum hub. For hub 1, people could use a 19" or 21" rim with front spokes from mikes. For hub 2, people could use either a 16" or 18" rim and get rear spokes from mikes.

I say forget all that and just make the hub how I want it with the small wide flanges! I'll get spokes from buchanans :D :wink2:

Thanks for the input Travis. I think I'll use a slightly wider version of the front hub. I'll buy a spoke set and see how wide I can go with mikes spokes.

I'm a bit paranoid about designing something on my own though, I'm new to bikes and not an engineer.

I think what I'm going to do, is hunt down a former co-worker of mine, Mike O'Neal. He's the former chief engineer at Tilton engineering (NASCAR clutches) and also a vintage bike enthusiast. He can check to make sure the thing is designed properly before I cut any metal. I'll draw it up in Mastercam first and have him look at it.

I'm also not an engineer, but if you want to give people the ability to use the spokes from MikesXS (for the 19" front wheel) on the rear hub you're making, and move the flanges out, you'll have to make the flanges slightly larger to compensate for them being further apart. Plus depending on the rim, the angle of the spoke holes drilled in the rim might not work. I'm not sure about the angle of the inner and outer spokes where they go through the hub.

So considering all of that... in order to appeal to more people who don't want to get custom spokes and change the angle of the spoke holes in the rim, it might be better to keep the flanges the same as the front hub. That would definitely be the easiest. Then people who want to use 19" rims with your hub could get spokes from MikesXS and people who want to use your hub with other size rims could get custom spokes. Then all they would have to do is tell buchanans that the hub is an XS650 front hub which they already have on file.

Just throwing ideas around.

Sounds like an interesting project. Are there any other options like swapping in hubs from other bikes?
What front and rear hubs/wheels can be swapped in to the xs650?

You might be able to use a Honda 750F rear hub, it's a full size 40 spoke hub with a disc brake. Somewhere in the back of my mind I remember someone doing this. I saw a XS650 with Evo Sportster hubs at the AMCA meet in Eustis, FL a couple of years ago.
Rider

It's a simple lathe part actually.

My friend has a 3 axis CNC lathe with live tooling and a sub-spindle.

It can be made from a slug of 6061 T6 in a single operation.

Man, I wouldn't call it a simple lathe part. You are going to have some serious time invested in engineering, programming, set-up, testing etc. Not to mention that is going to be a pretty serious chunk of 6061 if you do what I think you are wanting to do and replace the drum brake plate. However, I admire your enthusiasm. I have often thought of many parts for out beloved XS's but after considering the time involved to run them off on one of our CNCs the cost to benefit ratio does not seem to add up for me.

I'm interested in seeing how this one turns out. God speed!

Man, I wouldn't call it a simple lathe part. You are going to have some serious time invested in engineering, programming, set-up, testing etc.

A couple hours on Mastercam, then couple hours to set it up and dry-run it. Probably scrap the first part, then the second part should be good.

Not to mention that is going to be a pretty serious chunk of 6061 if you do what I think you are wanting to do and replace the drum brake plate.

That's what I was thinking at first, but then a few comments, and thinking how much a slug of 6061 that diameter would cost, convinced me to make it a smaller diameter.

However, I admire your enthusiasm. I have often thought of many parts for out beloved XS's but after considering the time involved to run them off on one of our CNCs the cost to benefit ratio does not seem to add up for me.

That's the beauty of 3-Axis, live tooling, twin spindle machines. Since you're getting a (more or less) finished part off of one operation, your labor costs, even on small production runs, is much less.

Yes indeed. I have a 4 axis (y-axis) w/ sub spindle machine 10" chucks sitting on the showroom floor right now that is just begging to make some XS parts!

We have the Wichita industrial trade show coming up in about a month and I have racking my brain trying to think of a XS part that we can run as a demo at the show. We are bringing in a 630mm 4 axis horizontal, a 500mm horizontal, two verticals, a twin spindle twin turret late and a 6 axis Swiss screw machine.

If anyone has ideas, I may start a new thread for suggestions.

Yes indeed. I have a 4 axis (y-axis) w/ sub spindle machine 10" chucks sitting on the showroom floor right now that is just begging to make some XS parts!

I used to run a Mori Seiki just like that.

We have the Wichita industrial trade show coming up in about a month and I have racking my brain trying to think of a XS part that we can run as a demo at the show. We are bringing in a 630mm 4 axis horizontal, a 500mm horizontal, two verticals, a twin spindle twin turret late and a 6 axis Swiss screw machine.

So what brand of machines do you sell??

If anyone has ideas, I may start a new thread for suggestions.

You could do a set of cylinder barrels, that's an easy 4-axis part. :wink2:

Hi all!
This is my first post, so bear with me...I am looking to drop weight of my 1977 D wherever I can, but still keep the overall 70's design, i.e spoked wheels, chromed mufflers, shiny alloy or chrome fenders etc.
I have been looking at Talon hubs and complete wheels (with alloy rims and SS spokes) I am pretty sure they have disc brake hubs for a 20 mm axle, or at least ones where just the bearings and internal spacer need replacing. Any external spacers are easy enough to make.
A Talon hub for a modern KTM or other big dirtbike should be plenty strong for an XS, and save quite a few pounds (kilos for me) in the process. I believe a complete rear wheel is around 300 £ in the UK, possibly 500US$.
This may seem a bit steep, but then you have a brand new wheel, that is fairly easy to adapt to an XS.

Back