Rear hub advice - sportster etc

littleslip

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can anybody tell me what year, model etc Sportster hub I need and an example of a rim, so I can put a spoked rear wheel with disc on my xs?

Or can you recommend another hub/rim combo that will allow me to run a 19" rear?

Thanks

Stock front XS 19" spoked wheel with a rear conversion kit from Omar's. The relative merits of this approach have been much-debated elsewhere, but it's just about the most simple and direct "bolt on" way to get a 19" spoked disc rear wheel on your XS, IMHO.

Thanks,
I've considered that, but looking at the meat on the rear hub, I think I'd rather do a hub conversion and lace up a rim. Plus I'm in the UK so I'd have to import the hub kit!

I believe 2001 or so up, are alloy and share the same rear hub. Sportster, Dyna etc. Check ebay, they usually tell you what models they fit.

Got my hub :)

From a 2005 sportster.

Do they have a sprocket carrier with Cush drive? Literally just have the hub and eBay searches have returned bugger all!

No, Harley never used a cush drive. They dampened the drive line shocks with a compensater on the crank to smooth out power pulses.
Leo

Oh right ok thanks Leo

So when people say the hub is cushioned, what do they mean?

Take it the sprocket bolts directly to the hub then?

They probaly don't know what they are talking about, like most of the buike breakers on Ebay. They just tear things apart and sell the parts, not knowing anything about the bikde they are tearing down.
You need to research the bikes you are getting donor parts from, that way you can tell if the Ebay parts will work for you.
Leo

I can't find it now, but here's my reference for buying the sportster hub

By Mule:

Get an aluminum Sportster rear hub and then you can have a spool with disc brake and get Sportster bolt pattern sprockets all day long. Did I say strong? Go to single row bearings and lose the stock, heavy double row bearings and you've got a real Pro set-up, not an appearence, wannabe wheel.

Get an aluminum Sportster rear hub and then you can have a spool with disc brake and get Sportster bolt pattern sprockets all day long...

Mule (aka Richard Pollock) is the dog's bollocks, and I've followed a few of his "recipes" with great results. However, take note that many if not most of the Mule bikes running sportster hubs are also running custom swingarms; this makes using the 3/4" HD axles more straight-forward.

You can modify the stock XS axle to accept a 3/4" axle, or machine the HD hub to work with some metric bearing that will accept an XS axle... While the custom swingarm approach solves these problems and a few other besides, "there ain't no such thing as a free lunch", and these sorts of mods can be the start of some long, interesting, and expensive chain-reactions. Enjoy the ride! :thumbsup:

My own 19" spoke disc rear wheel is probably the single most-valuable (in terms of time and money spent) item on my bike; the new rear wheel I'm building to replace it is costing me even more. An HD hub may have have been a better place for me to start out from, but so far I'm enjoying all my tinkering so no complaints with where I've gotten to.

Lacing up your own wheel from an alternate hub is very cool, but I stand by my opinion that the fastest, easiest, and cheapest way to get a 19" spoke disc rear wheel is to use a kit like that from Omar's.

I agree about the omars kit, but I just fancied going this way for a more custom look than buying a kit. It gives me a project to plod along with!!

Ill take a look at your build post.
Richard got back to me with some great info as to what's needed

Will be interesting to follow your build, particularly with the rear hub, as that's the way i want to go with mine, still in the gathering goodies stage for me though, so far have Omar's, Mile Pipes, R6 forks + caliper, Radian swing arm, Heiden 750 kit, Boyer ignition, and gonna get me of Hugh's Handbuilt's PMA's.
Good luck with it all, and maybe one day, our paths will cross.

Cheers mate, Why did you buy the omars kit if you want to go down the sportster hub route?

I'm just sort of gathering ideas at the moment and doing what I can with what I have

Don't forget about the dirtbike set-up like I have. It's non-cushed, but the XS set-up I had on my SR before wasn't either. It's not a daily, so I'm not worried about it.

The easy part about the dirtbike set-up, is a rear disc fits up real nice and if you get it with a master cylinder, the master / piston ratios are worked out for you already. I can take closer pictures of mine if you want.

Don't forget about the dirtbike set-up like I have. It's non-cushed, but the XS set-up I had on my SR before wasn't either. It's not a daily, so I'm not worried about it.

The easy part about the dirtbike set-up, is a rear disc fits up real nice and if you get it with a master cylinder, the master / piston ratios are worked out for you already. I can take closer pictures of mine if you want.

I'd like to see any photo's you have.

Here ya' go. I also have a larger caliper bracket if I ever wanted to put a larger diameter rotor on it (would probably foul on the shock, however... the caliper might need to be shaved a bit if I did that).
photo62_zps236a0ddd.jpg

photo61_zpse50019a5.jpg

photo60_zpsaeefec30.jpg

photo59_zps4c57384e.jpg

photo72_zps765bde90.jpg

Last edited:
Back