Rear Shock Adjustment

canuck1969

XS650 Addict
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Silly question. Am I missing something on adjusting the rear stock shocks. They were set at the lowest setting so I moved them up a couple of notches. How the hell do I get them back down. Do you need to go all the way around on the adjuster. Hard to get a spanner wrench or bolt in the hole to get it to move the other way. At the highest setting the hole is now almost facing the opposite side and hard to access. Don’t want to break something. What am I missing.

No, you don't go all the way around, you just go backwards from the direction you went when moving them up. They take a special hook or spanner wrench, something like this .....

n4RDUFn.jpg

Then you can reach around the back and hook into that hole. Here's some cheap eBay ones .....

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1-2-4pcs-S...27d62724:m:mDmD5WteoQlvfg6JPXf8CqQ:rk:33:pf:0

Thanks guys. Will give it another try. I am using an adjustable C-Spanner wrench. Maybe it is too big. Just didn’t what to force it. Went up no problem. Was just taking force to bring it back down. This was with the bike on the center stand.

I wonder if I have the bottom eye swivelled 180°. Hard to get a spanner on the hole as the handle will be in the tire. . Had to used a punch to bring it around.

Last edited:
they tend to get i bit rusty, a shot of rust buster?
Will give it a try. Just seems strange it went up with no effort.

Edit. All good. Gave it a little more force and it moved. Went back a forth a couple of times and it loosened up. Will lube it up a little and should be good. Able to do it with a small roll pin punch in the adjuster hole.

Last edited:
Will give it a try. Just seems strange it went up with no effort.

Edit. All good. Gave it a little more force and it moved. Went back a forth a couple of times and it loosened up. Will lube it up a little and should be good. Able to do it with a small roll pin punch in the adjuster hole.
Some OEM shocks have a round hole to insert a tool into to turn for adjustment, the tool IS included in the tool set. Wanna know what tool? Use the screwdriver blank end from the tool set!

Those BMW Boge shocks with the built-in adjustment handle are nice. They're a bit better made and longer lasting than most stock Jap shocks but eventually, the damping will degrade and they'll be no good. But, do save the springs from them. They work very well on many other shocks.

Some OEM shocks have a round hole to insert a tool into to turn for adjustment, the tool IS included in the tool set. Wanna know what tool? Use the screwdriver blank end from the tool set!

It is all good. Moving freely now. I don't have the original tool kit but the roll pin punch fit fine. I am sure a bolt would work just as well. Not rocket science now. Round peg....round hole....turn.

Back