Rear swingarm pivot

Sorry, RTFM = "Read the f'n Manual". I'll put the torque wrench on it and set it properly. Thanks for chiming in gents.

I took my swingarm off today as I could also rock the rear wheel from side to side : (
I ordered what I thought were the right parts last week but I accidentally ordered the needle bearing type - are these good to use as well or should I stick to the bronze bushing?

The needle bearing kit will work fine. Either one is better than the stock fiber bushings.
Leo

I have just taken off the swingarm and had a look - someone has already replaced the the bushes with the needle bearing kit and it looks all good.
mmm???
what should I do to sort out the side to side play?
When the bike was together I had tightened the swingarm pivot bolt nut to about the max.
Should I look at putting a washer between the dust covers and frame?

You need to find out where the play is, the sleeve needs to be JUST proud of the ends of the bearings.

From pregrid in a different thread about this issue

the spec in the book for swingarm freeplay is .040" max.

Washers between the grease seals and frame wont work.
Your pivot tube should be a bit longer than the swing arm. A few thousandths inch. In the stock set up if there was excess side play, the pivot tube too long, they added shims between the grease seals and swing arm. The shims had a center hole large enough so the pivot tube could pass through.
This filled the gap betwe the length of the swing arm and length of the pivot tube.
Finding any of these shims might be tough. To determine the thickness you need to measure the length of you pivot tube and swing arm. Subtract the swing arm from the pivot tube. subtract a few thousandths from that. Devide by two, you want the same on both sides. Find some shim material that thick ness and cut them to fit.
Leo

The steel sleeve is a spacer that fits between the sides of the frame. The bolt squeezes the frame tight onto the steel sleeve and the frame becomes very stiff because of the tension of the bolt and the compression of the spacer makes the parts one with the frame, like a welded in cross member at the most critical spot. The bushings of the swingarm ride on the sleeve.

Frame design is cool.

Tom

This seems to be the swing arm bolt thread. I envy all of you that could get the bolt out with a BFH and heat. Me I had to cut the bolt at the bushings with a sawzall. It can be done carefully without getting into the frame or the swing arm but I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy. My bolt ends were also stuck in there so hard it took a big drift a 4 lb hammer and a big carpenter swinging as hard as he could. But I won!:D Keep your swing arms greased boys and girls.

Sounds like that one was pretty suck! How's the rest of the bike? Did the swingarm even move? I suppose the bolt was just stuck to the frame so the swinger was fine.

Back