Recommended welder to use on a hardtail kit?????

A custom frame with a serial number and Manufacturers Statement of Origin and an affidavit declaring what major components you used in the build describing it (notarized) should get you a title from the MTO.

Needs to be safetied as well. Honestly not sure what the requirements are with that yet.

well Tim I asked State farm if it was ok and they said that it was fine as long as I didnt do anything with the engine. How does your insurance company feel about your high cam, ported and polished, rephased 750, with non stock carbs and intakes?

Good deal. I got a new Lincoln 180 on Kijiji for $500 cash so not a lot more than $350 plus 13%. Pretty sure he still has some. Store closeout inventory.

Took a 6 hour mig course at Centennial yesterday. Used Lincoln 140s. I'd get a 220v 180 amp unit minimum if you're going to weld thicker material like frame tubing.

The rolling bones

Were in Canada are you? I would be happy to help you tig the hard tail ont your project, I just bought a new tig and I love it so far, much better then my old one.

I also have a large mig welder if you wanted to bring your project down and just use it.

A custom frame with a serial number and Manufacturers Statement of Origin and an affidavit declaring what major components you used in the build describing it (notarized) should get you a title from the MTO.

Needs to be safetied as well. Honestly not sure what the requirements are with that yet.

Even then if you get into a serious accident the insurance company will try to weasl out of it . You will be able to register and plate your bike no problem as long as you got a mechanic that will sign the safety , ( good luck with that , most are not that desperate for money ) . Back in the '70s when people started cutting the suspension off of motorcycles the insurance companies in Ontario would cancell your policy if they found out you had done illegal modifications .

You can insure a full custom. I confirmed this with my insurance company before I went down this road. Also both the MTO and my insurance company told me a modified frame isn't kosher.

Bottom line is you're right in that an insurance company will do anything to get out of a claim. I just choose to not give them more reasons than I need to.

You can insure a full custom. I confirmed this with my insurance company before I went down this road. Also both the MTO and my insurance company told me a modified frame isn't kosher.

Bottom line is you're right in that an insurance company will do anything to get out of a claim. I just choose to not give them more reasons than I need to.

Can I ask what company ? I am shopping for vintage insurance for April . Thanks .

I've always used JR Duffy brokers with Jevco as an underwriter. Can't recall the new name of the company that bought Jevco. But JR Duffy are great brokers.

I pay $550 or so for my XS. Liability only.

well Tim, if you crash and they take one look at that engine then youre SOL, no different then a modified frame. Just saying is all. Now on your leftovers project since its gonna be a registered custom then you should be fine, but your cafe is dooooooomed!

well Tim, if you crash and they take one look at that engine then youre SOL, no different then a modified frame. Just saying is all. Now on your leftovers project since its gonna be a registered custom then you should be fine, but your cafe is dooooooomed!

State Farm doesn't write many motorcycle policies so the agent you talked to probably dosen't know much. Most engine modifications we do on vintage bikes would not void your insurance as they could be considerd as repairs , example : you can't buy stock carbs for an XS, they don't make them anymore so a set of VMs is ok because they are street legal. You might get into trouble trying to claim loss on a set of Lectrons because they are not. Insurance companies are more concerned with safety features like brakes, lights , tires , suspension . Most mechanics will not safety a bike that has been bobbed/ chopped or any other frame modification or if the factory safety features have been removed . It is ok to upgrade , like putting on Brembo brakes , but not ok to remove the front brake . This info is for Ontario Canada , but may apply to other locations . Better off making sure you can make your project road legal before you take a grinder to it.

I second that

when i was insuring my SR 500 alot of the parts i couldn't get em ones so i put a flat slide Kehin on it and the white brothers 540 kit. It had updated brakes from a newer bike with brembo calipers

when it was all said.and.done.i paid 500 bucks to insure it

I second that

when i was insuring my SR 500 alot of the parts i couldn't get em ones so i put a flat slide Kehin on it and the white brothers 540 kit. It had updated brakes from a newer bike with brembo calipers

when it was all said.and.done.i paid 500 bucks to insure it

Cool, you had/have sr500 too ! I had two of them , one of them had the 540 White Bros kit . they were great bikes .

State Farm doesn't write many motorcycle policies so the agent you talked to probably dosen't know much. Most engine modifications we do on vintage bikes would not void your insurance as they could be considerd as repairs , example : you can't buy stock carbs for an XS, they don't make them anymore so a set of VMs is ok because they are street legal. You might get into trouble trying to claim loss on a set of Lectrons because they are not. Insurance companies are more concerned with safety features like brakes, lights , tires , suspension . Most mechanics will not safety a bike that has been bobbed/ chopped or any other frame modification or if the factory safety features have been removed . It is ok to upgrade , like putting on Brembo brakes , but not ok to remove the front brake . This info is for Ontario Canada , but may apply to other locations . Better off making sure you can make your project road legal before you take a grinder to it.

actually they had to look into this before they got back to me, took about a week, their underwriters were cool with it. That being said, Im prolly going to get one of them voodoo frames myself for my 71.

Back