Rect/ Reg

LuisN

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Guys qq..

I am seeing some diff Diags all over the place i just want to confirm..

i look at this one

http://www.xs650chopper.com/2009/09/regulatorrectifier-combo-with-points-wiring-diagram/

and it shows that the Black From the Stator + The Org from the Rect/ Reg are suppose to goto the Ign Switch when on?

and the Green from Stator goes to green on rect/ reg.

From the Rect/ Reg Neg- goes to the battery. the Red from the Rect/ Reg goes to the Battery+.

right now i BELIEVE what i have is the Black from the stator going to the bat neg- . and whats happening is when i connect the red line from the rect/reg to the bat+ its sparking on the term. end. this causes the bike to kill the battery after 20 mins of riding on a brand new battery...

but when i look at this diag.. it says the black wire from the stator gets grounded. im confused!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v670/jeepurze/tcu/rectifier_regulator_xs650.jpg

its a 74 points xs. :wtf:

Guys qq..

I am seeing some diff Diags all over the place i just want to confirm..

i look at this one

http://www.xs650chopper.com/2009/09/regulatorrectifier-combo-with-points-wiring-diagram/

and it shows that the Black From the Stator + The Org from the Rect/ Reg are suppose to goto the Ign Switch when on?

and the Green from Stator goes to green on rect/ reg.

From the Rect/ Reg Neg- goes to the battery. the Red from the Rect/ Reg goes to the Battery+.

right now i BELIEVE what i have is the Black from the stator going to the bat neg- . and whats happening is when i connect the red line from the rect/reg to the bat+ its sparking on the term. end. this causes the bike to kill the battery after 20 mins of riding on a brand new battery...

but when i look at this diag.. it says the black wire from the stator gets grounded. im confused!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v670/jeepurze/tcu/rectifier_regulator_xs650.jpg

its a 74 points xs. :wtf:

First thing, don't use the diagram from XS650chopper. That diagram is for 80 to 83 years, that have battery + running to one brush. Since you have a 74, which does not use battery + at one brush, you can't use it.

I'm not familiar with a combined rec/reg for the 70 to 79 years. You should have the manufacturers instructions as to how to connect it.

There are wiring diagrams in the "Tech" section, but none of them show a combined rec/reg for the 70 to 79 years. Several diagrams for 70 to 79 show the connections for separate rectifier and regulator.

With the 74 year, the right (inner brush) must be connected to bare metal (ground) or to the common black wire that runs in the wiring harness. Grounding the black wire is the same as connecting to Battery negative.

its actually a 79.. so what should the wiring be with a rect/reg?

In your first post you said 74................OK, well a 79 is similar to a 74 for wiring.

This is a good diagram, because it shows the earlier 70 to 79 wiring, and then also shows the later TCI set-up for 80 to 83.

Check out wiring diagrams in the "Tech" section of this site.

Attachments

• XS650 all years.JPG
    XS650 all years.JPG
    103.9 KB · Views: 204
I have looked at all the wiring diags.

I am not sure why when i am attaching the Red from the Rect / Reg, its sparking on the terminal.

Heres the other things, IF i take a meter for continuity and touch the red wire and the frame with the meter it shows i have continuity. why!? the wire is coming straight out from the reg/rect to the meter nothing on the frame is touching it.

ok if you guys can help me out on this.. this is the rect/ reg i have

http://www.mikesxs.net/parts/img600/24-2089.jpg

now, In the diag above that Retire posted.. there are the following

Brown
Black
White x 3
Red
Green

Now on the Reg/Rect theres

Org
Red
Blue
Yellow x 3
Green

how i THINK if you can confirm i should have

Rect/Reg Stator / Wiring

Org----------------------------------????
Red----------------------------------Battery+ with 20Amp Fuse
Blue----------------------------------????
Yellow x 3---------------------------White x 3
Green--------------------------------Green to Stator Right?

Last edited:
Anybody have thoughts?

Does Mike's have a sheet that comes with it that tells you the function of each color wire? If we have something like that we can help you, otherwise it's just guessing.

On Mike's reg/rec for the early models.
Bike side-----------------reg/rec
3 whites-------------------3 yellow
red-------------------------red
black-----------------------green
green----------------------orange
brown----------------------blue
ground the case
This is what has worked for others using Mike's reg/rec on the 70-79 bikes.
It would be nice if the wire colors of the reg/rec matched the wire colors on our XS650's but the reg/rec is a universal fit so they use whatever colors they want. But if you bought the reg/rec new it should come with installation instructions.
Leo

Well, I wonder if that fixed it for him or if he's off to some other distraction.

No im still here. i tested EVERY wire combination and its not the wiring. it never was. it was the stupid Stator. ordered the replacement upgrade kit lets see where we get with it. no matter what i was never getting more then 12.5 vts. on. when bike was off it was drained so low to about 12.10 etc.

Upgrade kit? What upgrade kit?
If you have a repair manual it has a trouble shooting guide for the alternator. One of those steps is to ohm the stator. Did you ohm your stator?
Leo

On Mike's reg/rec for the early models.
Bike side-----------------reg/rec
3 whites-------------------3 yellow
red-------------------------red
black-----------------------green
green----------------------orange
brown----------------------blue
ground the case
This is what has worked for others using Mike's reg/rec on the 70-79 bikes.
It would be nice if the wire colors of the reg/rec matched the wire colors on our XS650's but the reg/rec is a universal fit so they use whatever colors they want. But if you bought the reg/rec new it should come with installation instructions.
Leo

I have a '76 running only the headlight and taillight and points. I have the mikesxs reg/rec wires shown in pic, I see where all the wires go from the reg/rec to the bike side except for the blue to brown. In the picture does the blue go to my yellow? I see no brown, but from what I understand the yellow is not used.

Attachments

• jkhkl.jpg
    jkhkl.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 137
  • jljk;l.jpg
    jljk;l.jpg
    135.5 KB · Views: 126
If the wires in your first pic are from your wiring harness the yellow is power to the safety relay. It hooks to the yellow from the stator. If the pic is wires from the stator then the yellow wire is power to the safety relay and gets hooked to the yellow wire in your harness.
On your harness where the stock reg plugs into the harness there is a brown, green and black wire. The green and the brown in this plug is where you hook the orange and blue wires from the new reg/rec. The black wire in this plug is ground, hook this to the case of your new reg/rec.
Leo

the stripped wires shown are from the stator. Im not using the stock wiring harness so that means I will not be using the yellow correct? And the black wire from the stator goes with the green wire from the reg/rec right? Heres what I understand..

reg/rec---------------bike side
3 yellow-------------3 white
red------------------batt
green----------------black
orange---------------green
blue-----------------??

Please correct this if I'm wrong and where does the blue connect to? Again all Im running is a headlight and taillight with points.

the stripped wires shown are from the stator. Im not using the stock wiring harness so that means I will not be using the yellow correct? And the black wire from the stator goes with the green wire from the reg/rec right? Heres what I understand..

reg/rec---------------bike side
3 yellow-------------3 white
red------------------batt
green----------------black
orange---------------green
blue-----------------??

Please correct this if I'm wrong and where does the blue connect to? Again all Im running is a headlight and taillight with points.

Forget about the yellow, you are not using it unless you have a Safety Relay. Just be sure to cap off the yellow so it cannot short to ground.

Your list looks correct. The red from the rec/reg goes to the junction of the ignition switch and the battery 20 amp fuse.

The blue from the rec/reg goes to the brown (in the stock harness). If you are not using stock harness, then the blue goes to the load side of the ignition switch (the same side that you feed the head light etc.)

so will grounding the black wire from the stator be sufficient for grounding the reg/rec and the stator both?

Mikesxs rec/reg does not have a ground wire, but it appears in their instructions (you did read the instructions didn't you)to run a wire from the rec/reg case to a good ground. I'd say run the wire to bare metal on the frame.

Attachments

• Mikesxs 70-79 rec reg.jpg
    Mikesxs 70-79 rec reg.jpg
    161.5 KB · Views: 140
Its incredably frustrating seeing all these posts about problems fitting combined regulator rectifiers to bikes with early stators .

As far as I can make out when using the seperate reg and rect on 71-79 bikes the rotor is grounded via the stator brush closest to the centre which goes straight to chassis earth via both the stator body and a seperate black earth wire.

Using a combined regulator and rectifier with an early stator (71-79) both stator brushes should be insulated from the stator body (earth) because the rotor is grounded via the rectifier not via the stator body .The insulated inner stator brush is connected directly to the combined /rectifier which earths the rotor when the battery requires charging.

have I got that correct ?

Its incredably frustrating seeing all these posts about problems fitting combined regulator rectifiers to bikes with early stators .

As far as I can make out when using the seperate reg and rect on 71-79 bikes the rotor is grounded via the stator brush closest to the centre which goes straight to chassis earth via both the stator body and a seperate black earth wire.

Using a combined regulator and rectifier with an early stator (71-79) both stator brushes should be insulated from the stator body (earth) because the rotor is grounded via the rectifier not via the stator body .The insulated inner stator brush is connected directly to the combined /rectifier which earths the rotor when the battery requires charging.

have I got that correct ?

No, you do not have it correct.
Here's the link to the "Tech" section .............."Electrical"
http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6477

This has been explained many,many times. Read the link very carefully, and study the wiring diagram in that link.

You cannot just say "combined rec/reg" as if there is only one. There are 2 very different "combined rec/regs". They are not the same and they are not wired the same.

There is no requirement to ground the rotor, but it can be grounded. For 70 to 79 Yamaha chose to ground one brush, but for 80 to 83 Yamaha chose to not ground either brush.

Back