red bull ktm ken roczens xs 650 bobber

Nice bike, great metalwork on the hardtail and rear fender! :thumbsup: I think JD asks some legitimate questions. The rear axle is definitely too short. As a professional bike builder, you shouldn't do that. Its not safe that way. I can't imagine you don't have acces to a lathe, its easy to make one that is a few cm longer. Maybe one hour extra work. I also think that brake stay is a bit scary. And yeah, I am a mechanic, last job was replacing and overhauling a blown up turbine in our local power plant.

Did the Ercoupe retain the coupled rudders?

Yes. Came to me in a horse trailer! It was a 416-C and carried the same paint as the one in the pic, except the nose bowl was painted red. It had the C-75 engine upgrade, and we ended up keeping the single pedal in the middle of the floor (the brake) even though the owner wanted to make an E model out of it. They are fun to rig. the first 45 degrees each way with the yoke is aileron only, then from 45-110 degrees eventually gives you 5 degrees on the rudder panel on the inside of your turn. The owner is a notorious tinkerer and wanted to do the C-85, prop upgrade, and wanted me to "+2" the elevator. Why the hell would you want to make an aircraft stall that was not designed to stall? You can hang it up on the prop and the yoke pulled back to the stop and it waggles along tracking 42 knots. Fun to fly, if you have the time to wait for it to climb!
the current beast, (Our actual project aircraft, N7316C) in it's heyday:

Attachments

• 1649A-N7316C-ORD-9359.jpg
    1649A-N7316C-ORD-9359.jpg
    175.2 KB · Views: 106
Jd, you do incredible work with those planes and have tons of experience with those just as my other hobby is rebuilding c3 corvettes. I have nothing against that. And asking questions isn't the problem. You came off incredibly abrasive and flat out like a bully which is why we all took up against you. All your questions could have been handled in a much nicer/ understanding way.

i'm gonna side with JD on this one. Sometimes you have to be a dick to get your point across. I've told people right to their face that something was unsafe and should fic it before it breaks going down the road. i'd rather they hear the harsh truth then not hear it at all. People need to grow thicker shin and man up.

The very first things i noticed were how the battery sticks out like a sore thumb and the cheapo air filters. Now that you guys pointed out that axle nut...

I was trained by people that don't know the meaning of the word tact, but that does not mean I can't be nice and understanding. I am constantly training younger metalsmiths, team leaders, and inspectors at work, and if I just bitch them out and crap on thier stuff, it's not effective. I know how to be constructive.
I took the stance that I did because the OP came out with all that big talk about getting rag time, and acting as if they are ready for prime time, with a high profile customer and all. (and I would assume the budget to go with, since I have NEVER had a problem with budget on high end jobs, with the exception of one very well known Canadian rock star who is a notorious tight-wad)
I read the title and expected to see a treat, and instead saw some pretty disappointing things. Attention to every detail seperates the museum piece from the painted turds in my business. Are those rivets period correct? You can't use grasshoppers on those turnbuckles, they were not even invented when these stopped flying. Yes, it's hard to install those clamps like that, but that's how they go to be period correct. Yes, that's asbestos. Suit up and work it out. Yes, we're going to strip the paint back off and start over because it won't balance. Yes, if the paperwork is missing, take it back apart and strip it and re-inspect it. Yes it's important. It carries people.
Have a nice weekend.

I thought the bike looked great, and living not too far from the builder was considering asking him to work on a bike for me. Being inexperienced, I appreciated the detailed questions and comments on the build. Unfortunately the OP's lack of answers and generally shitty attitude displayed here have cost him my buisness. I'm guessing he could care less, but this thread really reflected poorly on him and his shop. Had it not been for the detailed questions I may have ended up with a nice looking but potentially unsafe or unreliable bike, thank you jd750ace. Some one has to ask the tough questions.

Last edited:
If you call yourself a professional builder and turn out amateur work. You wont last long as a professional. I see he removed the picture that was unprofessional. To say the least.

Haters gonna Hate.... Is what it is..

Intelligent addition to the conversation.

I'm not hating on the guy, simply stating the fact that his behavior in this post changed my mind about wanting to do business with him. My comment is posted in hopes that it will be constructive for him. He is young and will hopefully take something positive away from this particular experience, other than thinking to himself "haters gonna hate". He obviously has some talent and skills and I wish him the best of luck.

I wasnt talking about You. I think the OP bit off more than he could chew. I agree the bike didnt look like it was a pro build... Lack of details and specifics didnt help any.

because u see a different idea than the usual doesn't mean its unsafe, if that were true we would all be riding stock mopeds..

This logic is what I found disturbing, as though there was complete ignorance of the engineering/safety/testing cycles conducted by manufacturers. As though image/reputation/opinion superceded public safety. An excellent example of 'form over function'.

Ah piss on it. As my dear departed mom used to say.. "discretion is thinking twice before saying nothing". Still miss ya mom.

Last edited:
It always is funny how guys like JD and a couple of others hear have never seen the bike in person or met the builder in person and talk crap! Do you feel better JD cutting the guy down just to make yourself feel smarter. Did you ever think the reason he did answer you is that he was working in his shop and not sitting in his moms basement on a folding chair trying to show off his knowledge ion the virtual world. I deal with guys like you all the time always the first to rip on someone else,s stuff but never owning or building one. Go play with your period correct clamps and work on some elses plane . remember they are only original once. Sherwin get ahold of the guy and talk to him in person then make the call if he is close. Maybe he could help you maybe not but give him a chance in person he has to be doing something right I heard Micheal Lichter did a photo shot of this bike. and I know his Road King was picked best in show at the 2013 Donnie Smith Show!

It always is funny how guys like JD and a couple of others hear have never seen the bike in person or met the builder in person and talk crap! Do you feel better JD cutting the guy down just to make yourself feel smarter. Did you ever think the reason he did answer you is that he was working in his shop and not sitting in his moms basement on a folding chair trying to show off his knowledge ion the virtual world. I deal with guys like you all the time always the first to rip on someone else,s stuff but never owning or building one. Go play with your period correct clamps and work on some elses plane . remember they are only original once. Sherwin get ahold of the guy and talk to him in person then make the call if he is close. Maybe he could help you maybe not but give him a chance in person he has to be doing something right I heard Micheal Lichter did a photo shot of this bike. and I know his Road King was picked best in show at the 2013 Donnie Smith Show!

Are you his dad? I don't need to see it in person if it's perceived issues are hung out here like a business card. I don't think he didn't have time to respond, because he had time to take the pics down, and there's these neat little lights under our names that show when we are online. Went to the Army at 17. Been to 19 countries on 4 continents and been shot at in 5 of them, so you're gonna have a hard time scaring me with your big man lecture. Been paying my own bills since 1986, so I guess I don't meet your "troll" stereotype. Tell your boy to grow some balls and confront his critics and defend his choices instead of cutting all the pics and acting like a brat over it. It's not to make me feel like anything, The bike had several shortcomings (especially that axle, and apparently ZERO reliability work) for something that was supposed to be for a world class rider. Thanks for signing up just to try to dig in my ass. My 'roids feel better now. :thumbsup:

I went to his site (which is down now) before I commented and looked at some of the other work there. It's not like there's no talent in the guy, but he'd best learn business sense, learn to deal with criticism, and grow some balls if he intends to try to make a living at what he's doing.
Now go home and go down to the basement and tell your boy how special he is. If you think I'm a prick here, bring that thing by a bike show I'm at so I can really booger pick the shit out of it. :laugh:

Kids today :rolleyes:

Just got done talking to Brett at 2eight Customs Nice guy sounds like he is busy with builds does all his own hardtailing, fenders, Painting, everything really cool Was curiuos why he wasn't answering JD questions and he made a good point no matter what he answered it would be wrong so why try. He's been 2eight for5years so guess that shots JD "original name "in the ass and I would hope Roczen would notice the difference between a hand built, Billet titaium one off, motocross bike with a nearly unlimited budget from Red Bull and KTM to win championships and a rigid '78 x650 Bobber to bop around town on! Think Im going to have Brett do some work on one of my bikes Just noticed JD has 1550 post WOW!

Back