Reg/Rec combo swap now bike wont Fire! HELP!

Billybobxs650

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
Ok, so i was having issues with my charging system on my 77 XS650. it had the seperate Reg and Rectifier with the adjustable Voltage Reg. i bought the bike it was not running, after many hours and $$ the bike ran and ran very well untill the battery would die, wires started to melt. the wire that was melting was the Green wire coming from the Brush assembly.. dissconecting the green wire from the brushes stoped the hot wire but still no charging. the bike only having 7,000 original miles i figured it is worth the effort to tackle the electrical system... so i thought! i bought new brushes for it and bought a Reg/Rec combo and did some research on how to wire it in. so today i charged the battery FULLY went out and started the bike and warmed it up then shut the bike off and began my task having all stock wiring harness i clipped the connector on the wires coming from the stator and connected them to the regulator rectifier the three white, one Black, one Green then wired the Red coming from Reg/Rec to the Battery with a Fuse and the Black coming from Reg/Rec to the ground on the battery....... after instillation i turn the key and bike will not start! after pulling the plugs i find im getting NO FIRE! what am i doing wrong?!?!? :wtf: :banghead: any help would be great! :thumbsup:

Get your volt meter out what does it read when you turn on the key with everything hooked up? Then start removing connectors one a at time, watching the voltage. What regulator are you using?

What do your slip rings ohm out at?

Back