remmy1101's latest build

remmy1101

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here's my second xs build so far I just received tcbros hardtail and tacked it in place with my mig welder.
the instructions say to leave the existing top tube/seat post guesset which I did but I think I would rather remove it all together. Its not serving a purpose anymore is it? the weight is now being held on the sides of the top tube not directly on it.
Has anyone else done this?

45403_1506924003885_1557857894_1238776_1244750_n.jpg

Could someone please post some close up pics of how the tcbros hardtail lines up with the top tube?
post or pm them to be please i'm not 100% pleased with the way it is right now

I didn't get any pics when it was tacked. But you'll get a good idea on the second pic. My buddy put a bead before the plate so I didn't grind the plate down any with the flapper wheel to smooth it all out

SDC10212.jpg

SDC10213.jpg

I have more if you need. I left the gusset on, but welded it all the way around.

Attachments

• bikes 008.jpg
    bikes 008.jpg
    200.3 KB · Views: 167
  • bikes 018.jpg
    bikes 018.jpg
    198.8 KB · Views: 162
  • dashit 005.jpg
    dashit 005.jpg
    211.9 KB · Views: 190
That gusset doesn't have to stay there, but if TCbros made it to fit with the gusset, you'll have to do a little modding to the lower hardtail rails and the wishbone to make it fit right. Removing it won't make the frame unsound. It looks way better without the gusset.

Thanks for the pics looks like i have it lined up right
CorradoG60 did you mig the whole thing with that welder in your pics? I was going to have it TIG'd by a buddy of mine but If i can get anyway with mig'ing it right in my own garage it will save me time and the hassle of trying to get him to do it for me =P
I have a miller 130xp currently just running self shielding wire but I do have a tank of argon.
The damn thing has a little bit of a feed problem which makes welding a little tedious sometimes but it works
any votes for mig instead of tig guys?

If you have a friend that will tig it, just do it.Tig is a much nicer weld, and if you are having problems with your welder...case closed, no sense in taking chances with a frame weld.

tig if you can, but, if you are sure you can mig a solid weld, that would be fine.
I have a miller 180, and it seems like it has drive issues too. But I just recently boxed a frame on a tractor and did fine.

I'm new to welding so ill wait and get it tig'd. I'm impressed with the tack job I did holds the bike with me on it!
Hey it seems like a lot of you guys are from new England

That gusset doesn't have to stay there, but if TCbros made it to fit with the gusset, you'll have to do a little modding to the lower hardtail rails and the wishbone to make it fit right. Removing it won't make the frame unsound. It looks way better without the gusset.

I would get your frame tig welded and have it done right!! And Teebs, do you think that Yamaha just went ahead and randomly put strengthening gussets on their frames or could it be that they did a little research and put them where they were needed most? And as far they "look way better without it", Well now, that just your opinion!! I happen to think its a cool looking piece and left mine!!

LHG

Here's some pics close up of the tack job any objections to frame placement before its off to have it finished up?

Attachments

• IMAG0011.jpg
    IMAG0011.jpg
    209.6 KB · Views: 172
  • IMAG0012.jpg
    IMAG0012.jpg
    194.7 KB · Views: 167
New additions to build. Painted frame and engine cleaned up rims re mounted engine. Made headlight mount, mounted seat springs to frame. My original rear fender idea was to cut down a trailer fender from tractor supply but it was still to big so i cleaned up the front and am going to use it as my rear.
What do you guys think of my custom false oil bag? it semi wraps around the tire and might hold my fender in place not sure yet

Attachments

• IMAG0041.jpg
    IMAG0041.jpg
    201.1 KB · Views: 172
I would get your frame tig welded and have it done right!! And Teebs, do you think that Yamaha just went ahead and randomly put strengthening gussets on their frames or could it be that they did a little research and put them where they were needed most? And as far they "look way better without it", Well now, that just your opinion!! I happen to think its a cool looking piece and left mine!!

LHG

lol Just saw this. All I can tell you Lee, is that I've seen a lot of bikes without that "gusset" over the last 25+ years and they all held together alright without it. As far as you leaving it, that's fine. It looks better without it. MIG will do as well as TIG in this circumstance. Someone is blowing smoke. NOT an opinion. Take it easy, Mr. sensitivity.

Keep up the good work, remmy. The front to rear fender is a way better choice than the trailer fender. Also not opinion, just common sense. :D

Remmy, the bike is looking good! :thumbsup:

Since you asked, the sides of the "oil tank" look a little big.

big in which way? tall or to long? the back of the tank sweeps in its a half round like the front so the rear tire can slide right up in I might have to move it back a little for the desired look

LHG

I don't think Yamaha planned on having someone cut the frame in half either! Bike looks cool Remmy. I hope you removed that seat hinge before the frame was welded. Looked like it was gonna be in the way of welding those tubes.

It would run with the lines of the bike better like this:

Attachments

• IMAG0041f.jpg
    IMAG0041f.jpg
    117.1 KB · Views: 122
Back