Remove kickstand / side stand how?

If you need to, use a chisel to to separate the locking tab from a bolt face so you can get the wrench or socket on the bolt. On reassembly the spring goes on easiest when the stand is in the "up" position.

Attachments

• sidestand---81.jpg
    sidestand---81.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 723
"It could be you aren't seeing it clearly because it is dirty? "

Or you aren't laying on the floor looking up?

The 83 has a longer plate that also holds the side stand switch but the order and method are the same.

Bend the tabs of the locking plate away from the bolt head and remove the bolt .....

SidestandMount.jpg

You can remove the spring first or just pull the bolt out and it will all come apart on it's own basically.

Just like you would bend the lock tabs on the rear sprocket, drive sprocket, clutch retaining nut, etc.
A blunt cold chiesel to get it away from the nut and a flat punch to ........flatten it.
Bend back with channel locks 10" or longer.

The tabs are usually tight to the bolt head so you need to pound a screwdriver or small chisel in there to spread them away a little first. Then you can flatten them out more using a pin punch or 1/4" drive extension.

Yes, I add grease fittings to both stands .....

CenterstandGreaseNipples.jpg

The stands work soooo nice when greased and the bike really goes up on the centerstand easier, I was surprised the difference it made. Some nice quality M6 fittings can be had from McMaster Carr, a little over $3 a 10 pack.

When I replaced the centerstand on my '82, I tried for a long time without success to install the spring after putting the centerstand on - just couldn't stretch that short, stiff spring far enough. Finally, I pulled out one of the bolts, hooked up the spring at both ends, and then re-aligned the loose end of the stand and re-inserted the bolt - way easy compared to stretching that spring.

Thnaks for the info guys! I will try this when i get home.. I thought it would be different then bending taps, the sounds like a chore.. I hope not.

Thanks again

Attachments

• sidestand---81.jpg
    sidestand---81.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 123
no it's not that hard, use a chisel or old screw driver and a hammer, tap the tab back. 12mm wrench or socket on the bolt.

Does bolt #20 tighten on in or does it bottom against something? I'd like to turn the bolt a couple of flats and tighten my kickstand because I think the bike is leaning too far when it's on the stand.
You can try to tighten it but the bearing surface gets worn and or bent, best to take it apart so you can see if the stand is still a reasonable fit on the bung or if the bung is bent.

...... that's why I added a grease fitting and keep it greased. These parts rub and wear, but less so if greased.

Back