Removeing the gold

DIRTY DOG

XS650 Guru
Reaction score
any one ever remove the gold off of a 21" dirt bike rim it is aluminium not sure if its painted or if its anondised, it will sand off but its a pain in the but is there an easy way ??:shrug:

I'm pretty sure it's "Gold Anodized", like the stuff I dealt with back when.

Googling "remove anodizing from aluminum" gives a lot of tips and youtube videos.

Good luck...

Do you want a polished aluminum finish? or any color for that matter, if so I might just polish it well and get it powder coated.
Not to costly and easy to keep looking good.
Leo

Oven cleaner removes anodize coatings.

Hi wannabridin,
any caustic oven cleaner will take the anodized surface off an aluminum part but it won't stop there, it'll eat the whole thing if you use enough of it.
So read the can first.
If it has any of these words lye/caustic/alkaline/basic in the formula, don't use it on aluminum parts.

let me clarify, you can use over cleaner carefully. It will soften up the dyes and remove part of the oxide layer.

So to fredintoon's point, it's effective, but can cause issues if not handled properly.

let me clarify, you can use oven cleaner carefully. It will soften up the dyes and remove part of the oxide layer.

Hi wannabridin,
let's modify that:-you can use oven cleaner VERY carefully
Here's my horror story:-
Back when heads and barrels were made from cast iron I soaked my BSA's top end in a caustic soda solution to clean it up.
I put the parts and solution in a stainless steel container that my dad brought home from work and left it in the kitchen to do it's work overnight.
Came down to a nasty brown mess all over the kitchen floor, my mother was not happy, to say the least.
Seems the stainless steel handles on the stainless steel box were held on with aluminum rivets.
It's amazing how much stuff can leak out of four 1/8" rivet holes once the rivets dissolve.

Hi wannabridin,
let's modify that:-you can use oven cleaner VERY carefully
Here's my horror story:-
Back when heads and barrels were made from cast iron I soaked my BSA's top end in a caustic soda solution to clean it up.
I put the parts and solution in a stainless steel container that my dad brought home from work and left it in the kitchen to do it's work overnight.
Came down to a nasty brown mess all over the kitchen floor, my mother was not happy, to say the least.
Seems the stainless steel handles on the stainless steel box were held on with aluminum rivets.
It's amazing how much stuff can leak out of four 1/8" rivet holes once the rivets dissolve.

if that hapen in my hous I wouldn't be here to tell that story lol.thanks for the info :bike:

if that hapen in my hous I wouldn't be here to tell that story lol.thanks for the info :bike:

Hi 'DOG,
that was when I was a live-at-home teenager.
And because your mother loves you, she will forgive you.
Letting you forget about it afterwards, that's another story.

Back