Removing engine studs

gggGary

If not now, When?
Top Contributor
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
Whats the best way to remove the studs from the cases? I am looking at one of the 1/2" socket drive cam type ones, I rented one to pull all the studs from an engine years ago but IIRC I nearly destroyed it getting cylinder studs out. There are also sets that apparently lock on the threads and can be used to remove or install studs, don't know if that type would be up to pulling case studs though. It's going to be a mock up empty shell and everything is out. just going to leave in a couple of studs to hold the case halves together and the cylinder on. Humor me, I am doing it because I can.. :laugh:
Oh, off hand anyone know how to release the shift forks from the shift shaft? I have the cotter pins out, now what?

Last edited:
Just wind 2 plain nuts (or more if you can fit them on the stud. The more the better) down onto the stud. Lock them against each other, and just wind it out with a spanner. Same way I get studs out of everything, be it aircraft, cars, bikes or otherwise.

Make sure you use the bottom nut you've wound down. And if they slip, either wind on a few more lock nuts if they'll fit, or use some blue locktite.

Posted via Mobile

think the studs are loc-tited in gary heat the cases....
pull pins #14 and don't lose the little rollers #13

Attachments

• shift-cam-fork-tx650axs650bc-xs650-b-1974-1976_bigyau0774e-1_74ea.JPG
    shift-cam-fork-tx650axs650bc-xs650-b-1974-1976_bigyau0774e-1_74ea.JPG
    67.6 KB · Views: 241
I was thinking the double nuts trick won't do these studs. Heat is a good idea. BJ I am pulling most all of the studs; cylinder, and case connecting. On the shift forks OK, but how? Is that hole threaded? how do I convince them to come out? Offer treats? No really what's the trick?

I actually couldn't figure out how to get the Shift forks out and didn't need to so I left them alone. SO yeah I didn't deal with that gremlin yet :shrug:

The rest you could take out with 2 nuts

I am correct on what you're asking, right? Without taking out those pins you can't take the shifter forks out of the case, right? #13 and 14 in Jayel's pic?

That's what I think#13 & #14 have to come out to get the forks off the drum so the drum will slide out. But how do you get #14 out of the hole in the fork?

a strong magnet works for me, tilt motor so it's facing down and let gravity help, roller may come out with it or may stay in drum move fork to the side and find it, might only come part way and be in the fork too, then fish it with a wire hook :banghead:

I got the shift fork pins out; heat. carb cleaner to thin the oil, and a bolt chucked in a battery drill held the spinning hex head against the forks to "shake" the little critters out. Note on this 1980ish motor the pins do not have separate rollers, they are one piece.

Back