Removing 'L' bracket bar screws

nanoonanook

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello all,
I'm in the process of taking my time interrupting the tech section carb cleaning guides but... I'm a little stuck and looking for a couple of ideas.

The long and short of it is that the 'L' bracket that runs along the bottom of the carbs to gang them together is being difficult. The 4 phillips head screws will not budge. I've had them soaking in penetrating oil for 4 days now and no-go.

I have tried, but I can see that they are going to start to strip with any more force. So.. how do I get them off ??

Thanks for your ideas. I'm looking forward to cleaning up these old guys.

A

Yes, i just did mine tonight... Got three stripped the last cut the head with a hacksaw and made it a big flat head... Are you using a number 3

PB Blaster it up and use a pair of vise grips. Wiggle them back and forth a little at a time. This has always worked for me. But make sure you have a good pair of grips and a very strong "bite " on the screw head. If it slips off you can mess it up.
I also use a punch and hammer to drift /turn it a bit.

Like Bill said, vice grips with a good bite or get your self a Impact screwdriver. Then replace Bolts. I've had the same issue with the screws that hold the Stator, again replaced with bolts.

THank you all very much for the ideas! It is really apprecitated - I'm going to give it another go tonight.
I don't have an impact screw driver - but have an impact driver (basically a drill / impact)..... I'm not sure if it will slow down enough, but I'll check into it tonight.

THanks again for all of the idea -- clearly the phillips were a poor choice!

A

There are some that felt/feel like those screws were put in with a thread locker and the heat helps soften it.

Shocking the threads by hammering helps loosen them.

These aren't just phillips head screws. The Japanese(sp) have their own sizing.
Unless you have J.I.S. screwdrivers you are also fighting a poor fit.

If you are referring to a portable drill with impact settings it won't have enough umph to get the job done. A hand held like I mentioned and grepper linked to WILL be needed on other bits and pieces. Bite the bullet now.

The impact driver does not need to go slow, just a lot of downforce and a few 1 sec bursts until it is free, otherwise you need to extract it with a screw extractor ( pita )

+ what ever get a hand impact, typically less than $10 US

If you have get r' done itis, grinding just a bit of the tip of a #2 philips flat ,will make it fit these screws very well. I think it actually fits better than the #3 JIS phillips.

They make blowtorch butane cigarette lighters that have a pinpoint flame that is good for heating little things like this. Needless to say get all the gasoline out or you'll have to regrow your eyebrows.

If you really chewed them up there are some good screw extractors on the market . I have a few different ones in my box . I forget where I got the easy to use one that doesn't require drilling as long as there is a bit of a hole it grabs and you can use a lots of torque on it.

SUCCESS! Thanks again for all of your replies.
Here is what worked (like a charm I might add).

- I found a #3 Phillips Bit for my 3/8" air ratchet. It has a hammer effect and easily took 3 of the 4 screws out.

- It stripped the 4th down really quickly but heating it with a paint stripper gun and locking the vice grip onto it worked in no time at all.

As I was pulling the screws out, I noticed a red residue - I'm guessing that this is lock-tight.

Thanks again everyone, now I'm back to tearing them down.
A

One thing I like about the one grepper linked it comes with short and long bits. There are times when the short bits don't give you quite enogh room.
Leo

Back