Removing Tach gear/thing..???

New_Movement_Md

back-yard.....
Reaction score
Holy Crap Guys... I am pretty sure theres something on this already however I couldnt find it in the search engine... After you unscrew the cable and slip it out, your left with the piece the dust cover screwed to. I removed that. NOW I have this little brass piece. Do I have to take the cover off to remove this or should that brass thing slide out? If I have to remove it , no big deal I guess. Just dont want to open ANOTHER CAN OF WORM if I dont have too. :)

THANKS.!

pull bolt #5 then the drive can be removed watch out for the machine washer #8

Attachments

• tachometer-gear-tx650axs650bc-xs650-b-1974-1976_bigyau0774d-12_7a2b.PNG
    tachometer-gear-tx650axs650bc-xs650-b-1974-1976_bigyau0774d-12_7a2b.PNG
    253.8 KB · Views: 1,251
Why remove it? The tach drive is a handy place to hook a tach for tuning and testing. Many things on the bike require knowing rpm to get right.
Leo

How about oil leaks? You a fan of those? lol Pulling the rod will leave like a 1/4" hole in your case.

Don't like unused stuff hanging around. That's how my friend lost his wife.
Leo

I have one already. Thats why Im asking about how to remove the gear. lol wont fit with the gear in.

You're going to need to remove the entire left engine cover as there's a little washer at the bottom that will fall off and bounce around in your engine when you remove the tach drive. You need to get that washer out.

hey i'm having a similar problem removing the tach gear, i looked at the diagram and removed that set screw on outside of case and pulled on the outside section of the gear (#1 in the diagram) with a wet cloth and some grips with no avail. any tips on getting that thing out??

hey i'm having a similar problem removing the tach gear, i looked at the diagram and removed that set screw on outside of case and pulled on the outside section of the gear (#1 in the diagram) with a wet cloth and some grips with no avail. any tips on getting that thing out??

Go ahead and remove the clutch cover and have a look. If you get the tach drive out you still have to take the cover off to get the washer out before it bounces around and tears up something important.

Ya cover is off, so is the keeper nut on the main gear in the case (oil pump gear) and the bolt on the outside of the case that appears to hold the tach in place. My issue is somebody in the past has chromed my cases and now they look like crap so I want to strip and refinish but befor doing so I want to get all moving parts out of there. I looked at diagram at top of thread and it seems I have removed all that is required to pull it out of there but it won't budge. Is there something onviouse that I'm missing here?

Anyone have any recommendation on how to remove chrome without messing up the aluminum especially the part that seats on the gasket. I have a media blaster but doesn't work great for this and I'm not sure I want to media blast this thing inside and out

Chrome comes off the same way it went on-- electrolysis. Find a chrome shop and ask them to strip it or do some research on cleaning parts via electrolysis.

Back