Removing TCI Pickup Wiring? Help...

mjamusic

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Seasons Greetings! I was hoping for some clarification on my charging setup, and also some advice on how to properly remove the wiring that goes to the TCI Pickup. So a couple questions:

1. I have a 78' engine, but I am using the stator and combined reg/rec from an 80' that has the TCI Pickup mounted on it. this is ok, correct?

2. I am doing a simplified harness from scratch so I can get rid of the TCI Pickup and wiring? what is the best way to remove that? can I just snip or do I need to totally remove the pickup?

3. Lastly, what is the proper way to cap the yellow wire?

Bike info: 80SG with 78'E engine, 80SG stator assembly and combined reg/rec, 78' charging rotor, PAMCO E Advance, simplified wiring.

Thanks a million.

If you have an igntion other than tci, then you don't need the tci pickup obviously.

They are worth money, maybe as much as you paid for the stator, so don't damage it.

There are two ways they mount them on the stator. If it has things that look like rivets, they are nothing but screws without a head You can slot the head with a Dremel and back them out, or you can grab them from the inside with a mini-vice grip and get them started that way, or combine the two approaches. People who use the tci would appreciate you putting it on ebay or offering it here.

Another way to get it would be to take about a 1/8" bit and drill into the center of the slotless head. That would let you basically lift the pickup off.

Use a sharp bit so it doesn't heat the pickup too much.

I've only done one, and if I remember right I ground one head off with a dremel grinder and after I realized they were really slotless screws I slotted the other head with the dremel.

on the yellow wire I just used shrink wrap to cap it off I left alittle extra wrap on the end hanging off. after shrinking the wrap I used a short piece of smaller shrink wrap on the end and shrunk it on the first wrap to close off the end.

Are you upgrading your ignition ??
Why would you take off a good unit that was working.
Most of the TCI black box units when working are good enough to run bike for a long time. If you are going to a Pamco or Boyer for upgrade they both work very well but you have to make sure your grounds are perfect or you will have issues. When doing a new harness try and tie all your grounds together to make sure everything works. DO NOT GROUND separate wires to frame. I have had many bikes come in that ground there tail light to frame and have ground issues. Do it right and one time.

Daddy,
I upgraded to a pamco. For grounds are you saying that I should combine all grounds for all circuits into 1 solid frame ground? I'm using good bullet connectors, and solder to do all my connections so I can link all the grounds. At this point I have a couple different grounds going to the fram at different points, as noted in the simplified wiring diagrams? Thanks for the input.

In my past experience frame grounds are not 100%. I had a frame that was hardtailed and if you set your meter to ohms and put one lead on the neck and the other lead on the tail you didn't get any reading. These frames have tons of rust inside them and a lot of tail lights with bad grounds have caused electronic problems. When I make up a harness I tie all the grounds together and attach to battery and motor ground so there is no problem. Guys on here will tell you bad grounds can drive you crazy.

Back