Removing the Muffler Joint Nut Issues

Seedthrower

XS650 Member
Reaction score
So - I picked up some new/used head pipes and mufflers for my 1974 TX650 today. The problem is that on both mufflers, the muffler joint nut is still attached. What's worse is that the guy just sawsalled the old mufflers off the head pipes and left those muffler joint nuts on.

So - I've got four muffler joint nuts to remove so that I can get everything installed and they are stuck. Here's my questions.

1. What's the best way to get the rusted joint nuts off the head pipes.
2. How do the muffler head pipes twist on - righty tighty/lefty loosey or is it the opposite.
3. Any suggestions on how to loosen the nuts with penetrating oil or anything else?

any suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated!

Thanks!

john

Last edited:
For nuts that are totally wasted I like a nut splitter. It doesn't hurt the bolt or stud. There have been times when I had something like a stuck grub screw or stuck bolt and I took it to the local muffler shop and he gets it with a torch. Always charges me $6, no matter what it is :)

http://mgaguru.com/mgtech/tools/nut_splitter.htm

ns2a.jpg

Last edited:
That would be a handy tool to have, however that's not the kind of nut that I'm dealing with. Here's what the Muffler Joint Nut that I need to remove looks like - hopefully this will spark some ideas!

07-4621.jpg

Ok, that's not a nut. It's a...maybe a plumber could help :)

But seriously, I would take those to the muffler shop and he would heat 'em up and get 'em off for $6 ea. While I stood there marveling. That is my best suggestion to you.

I'd suggest using a strap wrench after a few days of using your favorite penetrateing oil on them muffler joint nuts.

PB blaster or other penetrating oil, heat and quench a couple of times. An air bully with a flat head on it helps break loose frozen joints. I have loosened "impossible" old truck tie rod threads with one in a few minutes.

Great ideas guys! I really appreciate it.

Thanks to MikesXS, I've discovered that the muffler nut threads are right hand threads. So - standing in front of the bike looking to rear I believe I need to try to turn both muffler nuts to the left, counter clock wise.

I've sprayed the joints down with PB and let it sit for a couple of hours. I've also positioned the joints so the PB can run down into the joints. I'll keep banging away until they come loose - hopefully soon - because I'd like to start riding the bike on Monday to work - so I better get crackin.

Back