Repaint dilemma

Got that right. Best tank for the buck, IMO, if you're doing a cafe style bike. 4.5 gallon capacity is nice, too.

With mine, I plan to shoot at least a couple of clear coats, then add transfer decals (triple tuning fork logo only), then shoot at least a couple more coats. How many coats of clear do you think you'll need?

CT,

If you add decals and then clear coat you have to wait about a week to recoat. I had some custom decals made and probably will just attach on the surface. Maybe down the road I'd clear over them. It takes quite a bit to insure the edges are sufficiently covered.

My bike style is not quite cafe, I used the XS750 seat and tail as well with superbike high bar and rearsets. I call it a roadster.

Gentleman, I assume you are speaking to this clear you have mentioned as far as recoat times? because that is not a typical urethane clear consideration and you can't make blanket statements about clears like that. I'm not sure why you buy this clear anyway. Is there an advantage??

Gentleman, I assume you are speaking to this clear you have mentioned as far as recoat times? because that is not a typical urethane clear consideration and you can't make blanket statements about clears like that. I'm not sure why you buy this clear anyway. Is there an advantage??
I appreciate your knowledge and input. I'm only referring to the Color-Rite urethane as that is what is stated on the label. I'm using this product because I happen to have some in my shop. If I was to buy I'd probaly select one of your recommendations.

No thats fine, I just wanted to make sure what I was reading. So the clear you have doesn't allow recoat that soon . . hmmm. Is there a hardener used?

man you guys are making this wayyy over -complicated...

www. repaintsupply.com order 1 can of spraymax 2k clear for 17.40$... 1 can will do a tank and fender.. apply 3 coats 5 mins apart and be done with it... this is the real deal clear.... show quality and looks like glass.. no spray gun, no compressor etc...

seems like every post on here people are trying to reinvent the wheel...

After reading the Color-Rite urethane spray description at their website more closely, I see that it is NOT recommended for fuel tanks. They recommend their KK7 product instead:

http://www.colorrite.com/product/aerosol-kk7-urethane-high-gloss-clear-kit-1007.cfm

Since it's catalyzed and requires premixing, I may as well use the PPG product I've used before, especially since it's cheaper. Or maybe try the Spraymax malloym recommends.

Get all the parts ready for paint and let a good body shop apply the paint.

I've tried that. The paint and body shops around here don't even want to mess with it. They said they still have to tie up a spray booth and can't make any money spraying a tank and fenders when they can be spraying an entire car instead. Said that after spraying it still has to stay in the booth for a while til it cures, and therein lies the problem.

Ok,then ask them when they are going to paint a color on a car that is also ok with you.They paint the car and your parts too.That's what I did when I got my Tz painted(yellow).

people like this quote above crack me up. If you knew me you would know I want things as simple as possible. However, when I do something . I want to do it ONCE. And, I want it to last forever . . thats a long time. Many times, paint problems don't even show up in the first year or two. So . . be careful who you follow guys :)

Ok,then ask them when they are going to paint a color on a car that is also ok with you.They paint the car and your parts too.That's what I did when I got my Tz painted(yellow).

Not a bad idea. Maybe I need to get my reservation in for charcoal grey metallic. Might be a while, though.

man you guys are making this wayyy over -complicated...

www. repaintsupply.com order 1 can of spraymax 2k clear for 17.40$... 1 can will do a tank and fender.. apply 3 coats 5 mins apart and be done with it... this is the real deal clear.... show quality and looks like glass.. no spray gun, no compressor etc...

Mike thank you. This will save me from screwing up yet another top coat. I am ordering it ASAP. I assume it is safe to paint over the Duplicolor lacquer?

How can something be the "real deal" clear in a spray can? The reason I say this is not the price or that it is actually available . . its because 2 part, cured, paints has a short pot life. They were harden in the paint gun after a couple hours. They chemically cure, not air dry. So how is it they can be put in a spray can? Well there are some high tech spray cans out there that allow for mix as it exits the can. I can only assume this is one of those. So, if it works and the quality is decent . . cool. But understand, once you activate it, that can cannot be stored, you must use it all. Still . . . I'd almost want to try it myself to see :) Still a consideration is the chemicals in the hardener. Its isos, which I suspect it must be, you need to be protected.
Now for others . . if you find painting very rewarding, getting a small gun and compressor will allow you to paint a lot more than a spray can will allow. If funds are tight, maybe a good x-mas present to ask someone for :) Once you have a gun and learn how to use it, you can do so much more.

Hey Pete,

If you read the product description for the Spraymax stuff, you'll see that's exactly what it is -- a 2-part that mixes in the can. They describe having to push down a button to puncture something and then to shake vigorously for 2 minutes to mix it. Then I reckon you'll have to use the whole can within an hour or so or else it'll have set up and be pretty much useless.

As long as the nozzle produces a good spray pattern with no splotches, I don't see why it won't be just as effective as shooting from a gun.

I ordered the spraymax and will report back. I've seen malloym's bike and it is stunning. I have confidence in his suggestions.

I'm a small hobbyist and to buy paint, clear coat in bulk and mix, spray, clean up doesn't make economic sense if I can get just the volume I want with no fuss, low cost or clean up. If I was painting bikes or other vehicles regularly sure get a quart mix the hardener and have some in reserve for future projects. I actually did that on my Guzzi build. Results were magazine worthy (Motorcycle Classics July/Aug issue), not worth all the fuss for me.

Thisis a great thread and has a lot of valuable infor for projects down the road.

Thanks for all the input.
GJ

I checked the website and yes it does mix it. Pretty cool. I also checked the safety page and it does in fact contain isocyanates. Guys . . . read up on this chemical, its deadly.
One final note, I many times purchase just 8 oz, half a pint, at my paint store. So buying a quart is not the only choice.

I checked the website and yes it does mix it. Pretty cool. I also checked the safety page and it does in fact contain isocyanates. Guys . . . read up on this chemical, its deadly.

Oh yeah. Wear the rubber face-fitting mask with cartridge filters. If you can smell anything, your filters need to be replaced.

Back