replaced oil seal <1 week ago. already leaking again?

jiggli jibblits

Jiggli Jibblits
Reaction score
so i replaced the push-rod oil seal last week...and it is leaking again? is there a better seal i can use? should use a certain type of grease on the push-rod?

Did you replace the bushing as well? Because a worn bushing will allow a new seal to leak as bad as the old one. Another part of the problem is that short outer pushrod. It wiggles side to side much more than the older style long one piece rod. Best chance of getting a good seal here is to install a new seal, bushing, and switch to the long pushrod.

the bike only has 3600 miles, think the bushing will be bad? i am not sure i know what bushing u r refering to. i did read about the one-piece pushrod i am going to change over to that for sure.

is it a wicked pain in the ass to get out the old pushrod half shaft from with-in the case?

The long rod just may cure your leak so try it first. Like I said, it wiggles less so it seals better/easier. Getting the ball and inner rod out through the seal can be difficult. Some have done it with a good strong magnet. I never had any luck. I pull the right side cover and clutch pressure plate, and push the stuff out that way.

easiest way to remove the clutch push rod bush is to prise it out .
The bush has a split right through it.
You just need a thin bladed screwdriver or better still a woodworking drill bit and hammer it under one side of the split to force it into the centre then it will pull out with thin nose pliers.

Make sure you smear a little Neo 1140 Threebond liquid gasket cement around the outside of the new oil seal when you press it into place.

Check the operation of your clutch worm drive mechanism too. If it turns off-centre when the arm is moved that will throw your push rod off centre too.

Clean and polish your rod. The bushing is somewhat sloppy by design. Unlikely a 3700 mile bike needs a new bushing. A loose drive sprocket also will leak under the LH cover. Less common, but the starter drive case cover can leak too. A rear cylinder head leak can run down and into the LH cover area too.

Did you chamfer the edges of the hole before you put the new seal in? If not there's a chance the new seal was damaged upon installation. I agree with changing the bushing and going with the 1 piece rod. I was able to get the old 2pc out with a magnet when I did mine.

Back