Replaced seals, chain scraping sound from left case

Rlauchard

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Hi guys,

So I successfully (I think) replaced the seals on the clutch push rod and the drive sprocket. I put the sprocket back on, then the plate washer, then tightened the nut. No oil leaks, but there is a sound coming from the left case that sounds like the chain either scraping, or grinding...

When I remove the chain and drive sprocket and reinstall, is there an adjustment that I need to do? Getting tired of taking the case off :).

Sat around thinking about this, and I believe that I might have it. I am wondering if I put my drive sprocket on backwards, therefore using a different non-worn side of the gears. This might have caused the sound that I was hearing. Is there a way that you know which side goes 'out' on the drive sprocket?

Looking at an old sprocket I had around, it doesn't look like it would matter which way it goes on unless it's really worn. There is a larger wear mark on the side that had the lock plate on though. Are there any marks where it looks like the chain is hitting something or is it something internal?

Not really...the only thing I noticed was that there were some grooves on one side of the sprocket...almost looks like an old record...the other side didn't have that. Here are all the steps that I took:

1. removed casing, chain, sprocket, pushrod, seals on both pushrod and behind drive sprocket
2. deburred the casing edges on both
3. gasket seal and seals inserted into casing
4. new pushrod seal (single unit)
5. reinstalled drive sprocket, sprocket washer, then sprocket nut
6. put chain back on
7. new casing gasket, hooked up clutch line to worm actuator
8. install casing, adjust clutch

I flipped the drive sprocket last night, but found that my chain adjuster screw on the back was worn and wouldn't adjust properly, so had to replace this morning.

Did those grooves on the sprocket look fresh? I have a 20K mile sprocket that has no grooves, only shiny wear marks where the lock plate was and and a small shiny band on the inside.

A worn sprocket's teeth take a "set" looking like a cresting wave, flip it and the chain will ride up and drop on each tooth sounding awful. And yes a bad rear adjuster could cock the rear wheel, the misalignment can also create grinding action. I have that cover off an "out there" chopper, there's ground aluminum on it's inside, I haven't found the source yet.

Back