Resisting Temptation

Oh - it sure happens here. Not often enough mind you, but it does happen.

If an LEO sees you with a cell phone in your hand - you will be stopped and issued a $500 fine and 3 (I think) demerit points plus they will notify your insurance company who will generally raise your rate by around $500/year for TEN years.

So - that is potentially a $5500 penalty plus the fact that if you get (I think) 8 demerit points, you could loose your license.

Last edited:
Everybody I see driving has a cell phone in their hand.

Well, then everybody you see driving is a f@cking idiot and either the LEO's in your area aren't doing their job - or the lawmakers in your area haven't done theirs.

Heh heh. It will never be treated like drunk driving, no matter how dangerous it is. You will never see two or three cop cars, with somebody handcuffed and laying over the hood because they were driving holding a cell phone.

It isn't uncommon for me to see LEO's on their phones while driving in this area. Add to that using their laptop and radios at the same time. They tend to use phones to communicate with each other because of citizens monitoring scanners.
Do I think it is a good idea to talk and drive? No. But then I have never understood the hands free either. What good is a free hand without a brain to tell it what to do. And that is the part that is so preoccupied that accidents happen. At some point insurance companies will stop paying if you phone is active when you have an occurance/incident. Then maybe it will make a difference.

Last edited:
I said "set", but it was actually on the street. The cameras were on him riding up to the outside of their studio. Yeah, he was actually riding on the street with other traffic for a while with an unfastened helmet and no eye protection.
Scott

Changes the whole complexity of the conversation................agreed an idiot.

But still a staged event........

Everybody I see driving has a cell phone in their hand.

Everybody.......100% of all drivers...........wow.

There are some professions that blatantly disregard this rule, ( i would be loathe to say 100% of them though).

It has got so bad over here one of the states are talking about building Texting bays on the highways so drivers can stop to text............instead of education and policing the law..........

Heh heh. It will never be treated like drunk driving, no matter how dangerous it is. You will never see two or three cop cars, with somebody handcuffed and laying over the hood because they were driving holding a cell phone.
Hi xjwmx,
and those are the lucky drunks. The less fortunate are being hosed out of their wrecked cars by the EMS techs.
My wife's co-worker got nailed a whopping fine for answering her cell-phone while driving and STILL she does it.
"It might have been my mother" Fer Chrissake!
What I reckon is, the cop should have taken her cell-phone, stomped it flat and handed it back with a caution,
saying "This is a public service, next time you get a ticket.".

It isn't uncommon for me to see LEO's on their phones while driving in this area. Add to that using their laptop and radios at the same time. They tend to use phones to communicate with each other because of citizens monitoring scanners. - - -

Hi WER,
LEOs are (or certainly should be) trained professionals. Fully aware of surrounding traffic and of input from their comm systems.
Like fighter pilots.
Not, like the rest of us, distracted by a passenger whinging about finding another rest room right now because the last one was too nasty to use.

Hi xjwmx,
and those are the lucky drunks. The less fortunate are being hosed out of their wrecked cars by the EMS techs.
My wife's co-worker got nailed a whopping fine for answering her cell-phone while driving and STILL she does it.
"It might have been my mother" Fer Chrissake!
What I reckon is, the cop should have taken her cell-phone, stomped it flat and handed it back with a caution,
saying "This is a public service, next time you get a ticket.".

Do any of these people understand that before April 1973 no one had ever made a cell phone call? How did we ever live back then?

Everybody.......100% of all drivers...........wow.
In Americanish "everybody" just means a significant number of people. It starts when you're a little kid and you say 'But Mom, everybody's doing it", to which Mom replies "If everybody was jumping off a cliff would you do that too?", which dumbfounds the little kid and ends the discussion.

Do any of these people understand that before April 1973 no one had ever made a cell phone call? How did we ever live back then?
We lived better and safer! I remember when 2 people would sit down at a restaurant and actually talk to each other,as compared to now when 2 sit down and each pulls out a smart phone with no talk between them.

People have become a slave to technology.

Last edited:
- - - Except for all the poor bastards that died of something they could get cured of these days.
Not really sure what the cause is but we have had several accidents in front of our house in the last 10 years. Twice since last fall we have had our mailbox destroyed, I don't count the times snow plows have hit or pushed snow into it, both times were in good weather last time while we were sitting in the house watching TV. Car went through hedge early one morning. Another time car went off road and came close to hitting telephone pole, did snap guy wire. Every time we call police but never has anyone stopped to let us know. Police from various departments always say it is a "bad" road. Have even had one time while a State Trooper was sitting with flares out and lights going a tanker truck heading south was passed by a car on the double solid lines, car went between the trooper and the truck to get by!

Just in case you think we live on some twisty winding mountain road I'm attaching a Google map satellite image showing this dangerous road!
us.png

If you look close at the hedge running straight up from the bottom center of the picture you can see the notch near the upper end where the car drove through!

In Americanish "everybody" just means a significant number of people. It starts when you're a little kid and you say 'But Mom, everybody's doing it", to which Mom replies "If everybody was jumping off a cliff would you do that too?", which dumbfounds the little kid and ends the discussion.

Justify it how you want..........

Hi xjwmx,
OK, I thought I'd heard it all but you got me with that one. What's a "virtue signaller"?
A turn indicator that sez "Jesus" when it flashes? Surely not a stoplight that sez "Oh fuck!"

Can't help you with the meaning there either Fred.........more than likely some cryptic dig at me

That guy that shows up every few months with "77" in his username that 650bonehead chases off for us.

That guy that shows up every few months with "77" in his username that 650bonehead chases off for us.

Don't you mean Travis, (owner/operater/administrator of XS650.com), who has banned the guy several times....... The guy is a troll, (friend of yours???), that tries to come back time again and several of the members here are on to him and hit the report button ............

He has also been Banned from, SOC4, several times........DTT, several times...........Kawasaki forum as well.....................

bonehead.............back to calling members names again wxj.............still got the only OEM special tank without the provision for embalms that Yamaha especially made for you?????

Last edited:
Awww don't take it hard, ol' buddy. Just a slap on the back. How's your dingo?

Back