Reusing wheel bearings?

xsdrew

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Quick question:

Is it OK to reuse wheel bearings after you have removed them and they are in good shape?

I know their cheap, but every dollar counts!

How did you remove them?

I personally wouldn't and here's why. It's a pain to remove and disassemble the wheels. If something should go wrong in the near future, you'd basically have to spend the money anyway and now have twice as much work to do.

I've still got the wheel bearings I removed from my wheels sitting on my work bench and occasionally I have an impulse to give them a spin. They seem totally fine, but remember that they are under a massive load when they're actually in the wheel, so even if something is wrong with them, you probably won't detect it with your hands or a visual inspection. They are compromised once you put force on the inner race, but the degree of compromise is hard to identify. My opinion is to be better safe than sorry.

I have some ordered off Ebay, All Balls. Front set with seals is $21.94, rear $23.94.
Leo

Quick question:

Is it OK to reuse wheel bearings after you have removed them and they are in good shape?

I know their cheap, but every dollar counts!

IMO its alright. I've done some math on wheel bearing for atvs. They use bearings that are rated higher than needed. If you measure the ball, width, etc you can determine how long it will last at what RPM, loads, age etc typically they use ones that last 5X's longer than required. With a median of 10.

So, unless you cracked a race beating the piss out of one, they should be good.

Posted via Mobile

is there a video surfacing around somewhere in regards of how to remove and replace bearings? I keep reading on here that they are hard. I just wanna see what the process is like.

IMO its alright. I've done some math on wheel bearing for atvs. They use bearings that are rated higher than needed. If you measure the ball, width, etc you can determine how long it will last at what RPM, loads, age etc typically they use ones that last 5X's longer than required. With a median of 10.

So, unless you cracked a race beating the piss out of one, they should be good.

Posted via Mobile
This is a good point, but.....most of us, since we have new in hand, beat the crap out of the bearing by hammering on the inner race. That puts dents in the ball bearings inside. On a couple of wheel bearings, you cant just hit the outter race. If you could, they would be reuseable. Don't take chances.

Koyo are first quality bearings and most of them are now made in the US. I spent a few months working in a Koyo plant recently, so I know how fussy they are about their product. All Balls are made in China. Maybe they're great. I don't know, but I'm not buying them. It sure is a catchy logo.

Last I checked, Mike's XS has switched to Japanese Nachi bearings. Koyo is probably too pricey for the average XS enthusiast. Nachi is probably fine, but I'll use Koyo if I can get them. I'd certainly trust a Japanese product over a Chinese one.

If you reuse the bearings, some fresh grease would be good. Perhaps a grease packing tool could push it by the side covers.

image_23568.jpg

Bearing Grease Packer

Or, do it like this.

5twins adds more grease to his new bearings by using a sharp implament to lift the seal, and then use a small injector type of syringe to put more grease in them.

5twins adds more grease to his new bearings by using a sharp implament to lift the seal, and then use a small injector type of syringe to put more grease in them.

Yes, I think the kid in the video used a jeweler's screwdriver to pry up the seal. I believe a grease syringe should be readily available at just about any auto parts store.

If you have the bearing out, it's easy enough to just add grease with your finger. When I add grease to old bearings still in a hub, I use the needle point on my grease gun, it's just more convenient. You could do them with a finger as well I guess. I only fill the bearings about half way (grease only one side). I've found any more than that is over-kill and just oozes out once the bearings are put in service, making a mess.

Bearing3.jpg

Bearing2.jpg

Bearing4.jpg

That blind hole bearing puller probably isn't much better than pounding on the inner race because it pulls by/on the inner race.

Back