Ride or Rest?

Roy

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
So what's the concensus? If you have a good running 650, should it be used as a daily driver, or kept in the garage and only brought out on special occasions? I really enjoy the sound and feel of this bike. And, I can not lie, I enjoy all the attention that it gets.
20230605_193116.jpg

Ride it
Think of the first time you got to 3rd base with a pretty girl
Hmmm
Boy she looks great and all the guys think she's good looking
Hmmm
I'm riding !!

I don't think it is a daily rider . There can be leaks and other maintenance needs ( ask Mr Mailman ) who made an exit
This is after all old Machinery. Depending on effort rebuild and mileage.
I have cheap bikes .and have factored in problems . Oily fingers and so.

Well it's not showroom condition, but I'm working in that direction. If it helps, it burns a little oil. By the way, how much is too much? I really don't want to pull it apart and put rings in it.
Unless it's burning a quart every couple of hundred miles, run it. Just keep an eye on the level, and I wouldn't thrash the pee out of it, but I wouldn't baby it either.

Its a great looking bike; and by your admission 'not a show bike' so use her and enjoy the interest it generates.
If you want a garage queen / show girl then get another project and do as Bob did (@Mailman).
Or by another one that has already been restored; probably cheaper in the long run; especially in the USA.

..... a weekend rider... out and about.... get it up to speed.... a fair distance... stop.. cup of coffee.. cherry pie... a car-bike show... I've had my Xs1 out... overheard two 20's somethings..... one commented that I put a drum brake on it... " the 650 Yamaha never had a drum brake...".... I've done Barber several times... haven't seen a Xs1 on the floor..... 😎

:twocents: Ride em.
There will never be another generation that will appreciate these bikes the way we do.
They were built for the road, not to collect dust in some dark corner.
Real motorcyclists appreciate machines with some bugs and patina from regular use. :thumbsup:
I often get asked if I've owned it since it was new, I'm tempted to lie. :sneaky:
Cuz that's what they want to hear.
On the other hand maybe it's backhanded snark on my decrepit condition. :whistle:

:twocents: Ride em.
There will never be another generation that will appreciate these bikes the way we do.
They were built for the road, not to collect dust in some dark corner.
Real motorcyclists appreciate machines with some bugs and patina from regular use. :thumbsup:
I often get asked if I've owned it since it was new, I'm tempted to lie. :sneaky:
Cuz that's what they want to hear.
On the other hand maybe it's backhanded snark on my decrepit condition. :whistle:
What the gggGary said. Ride em don't hide em. Few things worse than a beautiful classic bike that is not ridden.

Nice looking bike, daily rider to me is rain, sun, dirt and anything else you can think of. So no once in a while for breakfast, tea, but they have to be ridden. Only you know how much time(and $) you have into it, but yes its fun to get all the attention that these bikes bring. I have multiple vintage bikes that I ride through the summer but also several modern bikes for the rain, snow,sun and many miles kind of riding.

I don't know where in Colorado you live, but if you live close to the mountains...you know what to do. :bike:
___I don't ride my '77 a lot, I don't ride very much anymore anyway, but when I do, I head west 8 miles.

Back