Right cylinder blows cold at low rpms and hot when revved please help!!!

I hope not! I actually have not done a compression check on it, dont have the gauges, but a friend of mine does and is coming over Monday, if the weather cooperates, to help do a check.

Get this bike running and we'll change your name to somewhatcompetant......

Whelp NJ I have to say that it is time to change my name to somewhat competent!!! The advice you gave, and 5twins guide sitting right in front of me as I walked thru the pilot cleaning and syncing got me fired up and running pretty darn good! Both sides running and heating up, no more backfiring or popping thru the exhaust, and with my sync gauges hooked up I was pretty darn close on it, so Im gonna leave it be till Monday when my buddy is coming over and can help me do the final tweaking of the carbs. Took it off the lift and went for a spin, ran her up to 75 and she was pulling hard, and running good! So a big thanks for pointing me in the right direction with that tube! Course now that I have the carbs running decently I can hear some rattle from the right side valves so thats on the list of things to do Monday as well, but I am HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY right now!

Hey NJ what do your think about my problem my bike doesn't fire at idle on the right side. But it will if I cover that carb halfway with my hand. Also I haven't pulled a vacuum test on that side but i can feel that it is a decent bit lower then the left side that is firing.

Here's a link with what barely competent found with his carbs......
http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?p=342134#post342134
You're most likely looking at the same scenario. I'd be following the carb guide and the advice given so far, particularly at the pilot/idle circuit. A bench sync along with good cleaning of that circuit might get you there.

Hey NJ what do your think about my problem my bike doesn't fire at idle on the right side. But it will if I cover that carb halfway with my hand. Also I haven't pulled a vacuum test on that side but i can feel that it is a decent bit lower then the left side that is firing.

May be an air leak causing a lean cylinder. Pull the choke n see what happens. If it picks up then possible your carb hangers are cracked. Spray starting fluid around em n listen. If no change then look into the carb refresh. Hth

i was having the same problem with mine. it was quite aggravating, as i had been through the carbs multiple times. turns out the idle adjustment screw was missing its washer, and the the little rubber oring was in bad shape. replaced those, and problem solved.
as others have said, just go through those carbs with a good carb guide (or two), and check and recheck everything in there. ports, washers, orings, gaskets. check em all. i know that advice doesnt sound exciting, but remember these carbs were designed sometime in the 60's- they just arent too complex.

Back