Right cylinder doesn't run as strong as left

btxs650

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've got an 83 Heritage Special that starts right up, seems to run fine with no lack of power in any part of acceleration. No popping or crackling or rough idle, but it has always seemed like the right cylinder doesn't fire as smoothly and consistently as the left. It's only noticeable while idling at about 1200. Put your hand up to the left header and there is steady flow. Put your hand on the right side and it misses a lot.
It doesn't appear to be lean issue because both plugs are identical with a nice light tan color even after putting over 1,000 miles on it since I upgraded to pods, larger jets, and open headers.
The intake boots do look a little too cracked so I sprayed them while running to see if it would die, and it didn't even sputter.
I've got the BS34s with pods and increased mains (142.5) and pilot jets (either a 30 or 45, I can't remember which) with open headers.
The bike has less than 4,000 miles on it, so I've not messed with valves or timing yet.

My '81 seems like the left exhaust is stronger than right exhaust also. Only other noticeable difference is I can't get the richness all the way out of the left. It's actually the right plug that looks better. I'm not getting the "miss" on the right tho. My slight miss is on the left at slightly cracked throttle due to richness.

I have just ignored it for now because the bike runs good and it seems the more posts I read, these bikes just have their idiosynchrisies.

I have new jbm boots and diaphrams, full rebuild on carbs, valves set .oo3 intake .oo6 exhaust.

Your carbs are synced?

Mine seemingly runs great and I never notice a miss while riding so I haven't done anything about it yet. It's just one of those things that bugs me because I want the bike to be as close to perfect as I can get her. It's probably just more noticeable because of the open headers.

If you're using the original TCI ignition and have good fire on at least one side, the likely source of ignition trouble (if there is ignition trouble) would be cap and/or wire on the right side. Switch plug wires from side to side and see if the problem moves with them. If that doesn't locate the grief, try the following:
1. Set valve clearance.
2. Check throttle synch.
3. Check compression; cylinders should be within 10% of each other.
If there's still no joy and you haven't pinpointed the problem, have a leak down test done (or build a tester and do it yourself; a Google search will turn up plenty, no point repeating stuff here). It's not unusual for a leaking valve to cause a stumble at idle that seems to go away under throttle even though it's still causing a power loss. It's also not unusual for that leaking valve to hide from you during the compression test.

Back