Right cylinder weak spark, out of ideas...

ryamatt

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Hi,
I am breaking in the engine of a 1977 D model after a top end rebuild and total overhaul of the rest of the bike. I have put about 30 kms on it around my neighbourhood. Since I first got it running again, the right side has been slow to fire up and typically it will get running on the left only and then after I play around with the idle on the carb and give it a few good revs, the right side comes online and starts to run more or less normal. When I have gone for a ride, shut it down for a few minutes and start it again, it runs ok on both sides once hot.
This is how it is configured:
BS38 carbs, 127.5 and 27 jets, one up from stock. Idle screw two turns out, new diaphragms and carb mounts from JBL Industries. I have a spare set of carbs and switched them out with no difference.
Petcocks are new, fuel is clean and new,inside of tank is clean.
Compression tests at 130 on the right side cold.
Charging system is the Chrysler regulator and radio shack rectifier setup as per PamcoPete, new battery which is getting charged no problem.
Pamco ignition with eadvance. I have performed all of the recommended electrical checks prescribed by PamcoPete and the voltmeter agrees with what Pete says should happen when testing the coil and plug wires. I am using the black ultimate coil from mikes. I have a second identical coil from another xs that is known to work and I swapped it in with the same results. Plug are gapped as per spec and I have tried several brand new ones with same result.
This is what is strange to me: when I test for spark by spinning the Pamco rotor with a plug removed as per Pete, it is nice and strong on the left but weak on the right. When I switch sides for the plug wires, the weak spark does NOT follow the wire. If it was either the coil or one of the plug wires, wouldn't the weak spark change sides?
I am confident it is not a carb issue, but I am not sure where to go next with the electrical or ignition. Any ideas?
Thanks.

Very strange indeed. All I can think of is to swap the primary wires, which would switch plug polarities.

Otherwise, this sounds like one of those mysteries that's best solved in my barn...

Back