Right side carburetor is pouring gas through the overflow

Hi Bminer and welcome,
while you are changing fuel lines, renew the front brake hydraulic lines too.
Those lines have a mebbe 5 year working life before their innards start to decompose and I'd bet yours came with the bike.
Better yet, upgrade to stainless wire braid lines, they really do work better.
And you didn't mention installing new tires. Old tires are killers, they get as hard as wood even if they look perfect.
Yes my front brake line is... Well... Not there lol and tires are definitely getting replaced right now I want to be able to start it first kick which I can but also not have gas pouring at the bottom haha not much is wrong with this bike but taking one step at a time!

Yes my front brake line is... Well... Not there lol and tires are definitely getting replaced right now I want to be able to start it first kick which I can but also not have gas pouring at the bottom haha not much is wrong with this bike but taking one step at a time!

Hi Bminer,
I reckon the FIRST thing to do on ANY machine is to be able to make it STOP.
Otherwise you'll be "just trying it around the block to see if your gas leak is fixed"
still with your wooden tires and your missing front brake lines and running the risk of converting yourself into a statistic.
I know I would.
Take care, eh?

I'm going to hazard a (good) guess and say the front brake most likely needs more than just a line. The MC and caliper usually need a complete disassembly and cleaning. Don't be like the one local kid I deal with. He don't fix nuthin' 'till it breaks, lol. Well, he don't fix it, he calls me, lol. His front brake got so bad, you could barely push the bike around in the driveway. It was dragging and sticking big time. A disassembly and cleaning fixed it up good as new.

Hey guys so I found the issue of the overflowing carb lol there is a pin hole on the top of the float.. Is there a way to fix this or do I have to spend 50 bucks on a new one?

No fixing, buy new GENUINE Mikuni. 650central has the good ones.

Carb float-Genuine Mikuni
XS1/2, TX650/A, XS650 B/C/D/E/F/2F/SE/SF '70-79

#CSUDmi002.114 ..... $18.25 each

while I was there I'd buy both and float needle kits too.

Bminer23. Hello, your post with the picture is just text to me, please try to upload a picture again.

I was able to post a couple pictures of the bike before I got it ..I posted them in an album. Will have more as I work on it.

Lets clear up a misconception, the floats and float vales are NOT a shut off. They are a metering device designed to maintain the proper fuel level in the float bowls.
To shut off the fuel they put on petcocks. Petcocks ARE a fuel shut off.
Have you read the carb guide? www.amckayltd.com/carbguide.pdf
Leo

Last edited:
the crab guide?
Leo

:yikes: :doh: :laugh:

I kinda expect my float valves to let me shut off the ignition and go have lunch without coming back to a puddle of gas under the bike. At least if the parking lot, sidestand have the bike reasonably upright.

Oops, cold fingers. Easy fix.
Yes, for a short time the floats can stop over flowing, but On my 75 with a black tank it often over flowed if left in the sun without shutting off the petcocks. Especially if the tank wasn't full. The lower the fuel level the more air in the tank. The heat from the sun expanded the air enough so to much pressure built up in the tank, then fuel over flow.
Fixing the plugged vent in the gas cap fixed that though. Just enough crud to act as a one way valve. It let air in but wouldn't let it out.
Leo

Back