Rims ID

nj1639

Paleo-simplistic
Top Contributor
Reaction score
I picked up a set of rims in a parts purchase and I'm curious to their provenance. 19 front and 18 rear, steel construction but shoulderless. I didn't see any manufacture stamp.......36 spoke and unlike the alu rain catchers and unlike the '80's Specials. Early 650's?

Many times, steel rims are stamped on the inside. But that area may be all rusty now and difficult (or impossible) to read. You have just rims or are they spoked to some hubs? Early 650 wheels used chrome steel rims up to about '73 I think.

+1 70 to 73 used Chrome steel 18" 19" rims. 72 73 are disk front 70-71 are drum front.
The 72 front does not have the normal 6 hole rotor mount.

wheels009.jpg

wheels0062.jpg

Here's a link to a bunch of pics of a set of 72 rims

http://www.bsupply.us/xs650/wheels/

Thanks fellas! They're just the rims, the hubs were cut out. Thinking about using a set of '80's hubs and respoking if easily possible. Any suggestions for spokes or any issues that might arise?

The spoked wheels from the later bikes ha 64 spokes up front and 48 spokes on the rear. You need a set of hubs from 74 up to the 78 or 79 standards. They used 36 spokes both front and rear. The specials had the mags.
Leo

82-3 Heritage specials were the models with the 48-64 spoke hubs.
Special IIs from 79 to 81 are 36 spoke and fine for donor hubs also.

Reports are the MikeXS spokes are of acceptable quality with some issues of amounts and labeling... Some of the oriental fleabay spokes - not so much.
I have a set of the mikes stainless 18" rear spokes but haven't laced them on yet.

I thought the 79 Special II was the only year that had the spoked wheels. Used a 16 inch rear. As a 1 year only I didn't mention it.
Leo

Special II went from 79 to 81 with 36 spokes, 80-81 had chrome rims like this
motorcycle6kj0.jpg

the rims/spokes are often rusty so donor hubs from those are fairly common.
Yes the spII rears are 16 but the hubs will mate to 18" wheels with no problems. ( I spoked an 18" swap to one of those)

Yeah G, that would be the donor hubs.....and yes, the '80/'81 rims are too rusty.
I don't know if these shoulderless rims came from the early drum front or disc. I'll try to compare the rear to front spoke angle and proceed from there.

I thought the 79 Special II was the only year that had the spoked wheels. Used a 16 inch rear. As a 1 year only I didn't mention it.
Leo

XSLeo, Here is an ID chart i am making up in my albums, pics/brochures with info on the bike differences. Still in progress but if you go to page 4 it has the info on the Specials

If I were going to the effort of a respoke I would sure consider the WM alloy rims from mikes.... His wider rims allow for more modern spec tires too.

Back